Subframe Dropped and cracks found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe Dropped and cracks found

I dropped my subframe today and did a quick clean and found cracks at the front two mounting points. The rear mounts looked fine. For the larger crack, it is just a drill the ends and weld correct?

Going to do a deep clean tomorrow and check the spot welds around the wheel wells.

For reference: 2006 with 92.5k miles
    Attached Files

While you have access I would recommend full reinforcement with a high quality reinforcement plate like these,

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
      While you have access I would recommend full reinforcement with a high quality reinforcement plate like these,

That’s what I am doing. I have the subframe dropped to install the redish V3 plates.

Comment

Correct. Stop-drill & weld.

Are you doing topside reinforcement too?

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
          Are you doing topside reinforcement too?
          You beat me to it . Those cracks are the symptom of a structural issue that band-aids on the wounds (plates) will not cure.

Comment

I’m using redish new v3 plates that include plates for the trunk and under the rear seat area. I’m going to give those a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post

V3 or V2? The page only lists V2?

Comment

V3. They are unreleased on the page at this time. I was randomly selected when I ordered the v2 to get the new v3. I’ll post pics when I get it installed.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty737 View Post
                  V3. They are unreleased on the page at this time. I was randomly selected when I ordered the v2 to get the new v3. I’ll post pics when I get it installed.
                  Thanks!

Comment

So Redish plates for underside, got it. What is everyone using for topside reinforcement that can be bought today, since I see you said the V3 isn't released to the public yet?
                    2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
                      So Redish plates for underside, got it. What is everyone using for topside reinforcement that can be bought today, since I see you said the V3 isn't released to the public yet?
                      They said it was supposed to be released at the end of the month(July) so I would assume it is any day now.

vince bar or the cmp top side seems to be what everyone does.

Comment

Originally posted by poss View Post

You beat me to it . Those cracks are the symptom of a structural issue that band-aids on the wounds (plates) will not cure.
                        How do u fix that issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post

How do u fix that issue?
                          "Topside" reinforcement. A bar for the rears (cmp, vince, "gtr style" bar like SME, DMG, Mason) and cups for the front or the CMP brace that connects all 4.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Looks like the subframe kit has has seen some improvements over years. I had installed the kit from Turner back in 2007, i think they were the only game in town back then, if i recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

"Topside" reinforcement. A bar for the rears (cmp, vince, "gtr style" bar like SME, DMG, Mason) and cups for the front or the CMP brace that connects all 4.
                              Subframe doesn’t need to be dropped for this right? Since it’s being done at the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X