Subframe Dropped and cracks found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post

Subframe doesn’t need to be dropped for this right? Since it’s being done at the top.
    It does. At least for most.

Comment

I wonder what's different about the Redish V3 plates versus V2?

Subframe doesn’t need to be dropped for this right? Since it’s being done at the top.
      I'd just drop it... when I did my Vincebar you technically didn't have to drop it all the way, just a few inches. But dropping it all the way makes life so much easier

Comment

Subframe absolutely has to be dropped to do this. I purchased a VinceBar Epoxy/Rivet version and will be doing this soon, unsure if I have any cracks of course. After my front/rear suspension refresh, I'll have a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
          I wonder what's different about the Redish V3 plates versus V2?

I'd just drop it... when I did my Vincebar you technically didn't have to drop it all the way, just a few inches. But dropping it all the way makes life so much easier
          V3 has some top side plates. I’ll post pictures of the instructions tomorrow if I remember.

Comment

All of us either have had the subframe addressed, or will need it sooner or later. I haven't had mine addressed yet, and am curious about the available options for a "fix". Anyone care to post the product they used, installation method ( epoxy vs welding), how many miles/years has your fix held up without failing?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

Subframe absolutely has to be dropped to do this. I purchased a VinceBar Epoxy/Rivet version and will be doing this soon, unsure if I have any cracks of course. After my front/rear suspension refresh, I'll have a better idea.
              Asking because I had my subframe reinforced already but didn’t do the Vince bar or any of that. Just the plates

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

"Topside" reinforcement. A bar for the rears (cmp, vince, "gtr style" bar like SME, DMG, Mason) and cups for the front or the CMP brace that connects all 4.
                - also other options are the CMP 'rails' (no bar - cheapest/easiest option) and making your own bar (I had a friend make one up - pretty easy job for a machinist/welder).

The bar improves chassis rigidity too. CMP Rails and Stealth Bar are invisible (under boot floor panel). CMP bar is not (intrudes into boot). Other X-style braces are highly intrusive and probably not the ideal engineering solution for topside RACP reinforcement (they don't directly couple to chassis rails)

Comment

Asking because I had my subframe reinforced already but didn’t do the Vince bar or any of that. Just the plates
                  There is no need to drop subframe for topside repair only if you can extend subframe mounting hole/thread through to connect to topside brace with subframe on (1 bolt hole at a time)
                  Last edited by poss; 08-04-2021, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Triple check that drivers rear mount, drivers side wheel arch seam and spot welds in that area. I'd be surprised if those are not an issue as well.
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Plates (any plates) alone are NOT a fix-- just a delay.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

The CMP Beam kit has been out of stock for a while and I don't want the intrusive VinceBar. I look forward to seeing pictures of the Redish V3 Kit
                        2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
                          The CMP Beam kit has been out of stock for a while and I don't want the intrusive VinceBar. I look forward to seeing pictures of the Redish V3 Kit

The vincebar is the least intrusive option-- it doesn't impinge on trunk space at all! Once you have the trim back in, it looks like you haven't done anything to the car at all!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by scotty737 View Post
                            I dropped my subframe today and did a quick clean and found cracks at the front two mounting points.
                            Does the right side have the long crack?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Does the right side have the long crack?
                              Yes, passenger side.

Comment

Just a side note. I highly recommend removing a bunch of the interior when welding those rear top-side plates in. The smell from the welding is awful and difficult to get out of the interior/carpet after its done. It's also easy for sparks to fly during the process and damage the interior.
                                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X