Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DMK single mass flywheel and clutch kit or Clutch Masters FX100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMK single mass flywheel and clutch kit or Clutch Masters FX100?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these kits? Do they really chatter as much as I have read?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dkm-part...a-006-054~dkm/

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...2-HD00-SK.html
    Last edited by grannyknot; 04-15-2020, 10:08 AM.

A previous track car I had came with the clutchmasters kit above. Replaced it with new stock and had zero regrets.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

On old M3F, I had a thread where I considered 3 non-OEM clutch upgrade options that used a single mass flywheel. The DMK kit was one consideration, which I then ruled out. I found negative reviews and exchanged PMs with an owner who had bought the kit. He had functional issues with it and ultimately removed it. Actual chatter can sometimes be an issue depending on the kit but its more likely the noise that you read about results from the transmission input shaft. This is an inherent byproduct of removing the dual mass flywheel and going to a single mass. Everyone has a different tolerance for acceptable noise so you will often see the "for's" or "against's" switching to a single mass flywheel influenced by personal tolerance for said noise. The DMK kit was unique in my findings as there were compliants above and beyond just noise.
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        A previous track car I had came with the clutchmasters kit above. Replaced it with new stock and had zero regrets.
        What were the problems you experienced with the ClutchMaster kit? I have no problem with a dual mass flywheel but BMW wants $1500 for a new one and Covid has stolen all my money.

jbfrancis3 which kit did you finally go with?

Damn I miss being able to go to the archives of the old forum, sooo much information is just gone.

Comment

Originally posted by grannyknot View Post

What were the problems you experienced with the ClutchMaster kit? I have no problem with a dual mass flywheel but BMW wants $1500 for a new one and Covid has stolen all my money.

Damn I miss being able to go to the archives of the old forum, sooo much information is just gone.
          Luk makes the BMW flywheel. It's less than $400.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...l-z4-m3-dmf050
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Any lightweight flywheel will have chatter. If you're concerned about it just stick with oem.

I've had the Tilton triple disc on a track car and it was awesome on track. But would never daily or even have it for a weekend street car.

Comment

I have the Rogue PCS kit, and even with the 14lb steel single-mass flywheel, it's noisy clutch out at idle. But it's also a total pleasure to use on and off track. No more difficult than stock (the clutch disc is a sprung-hub BMW part from some other model IIRC), but sharper somehow without the SAC.

Still, the stock unit is definitely the best price/performance and far and away the most comfortable. I'd guess it's the right choice in the vast majority of circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                Any lightweight flywheel will have chatter. If you're concerned about it just stick with oem.

I've had the Tilton triple disc on a track car and it was awesome on track. But would never daily or even have it for a weekend street car.
                That's a wicked clutch kit... What car did you run it on?
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

That's a wicked clutch kit... What car did you run it on?
                  It was an E46 M3. Wrecked it in October.

Comment

Were you the one with the grey one that was debating on whether you were going to swap the powertrain into a shell?
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Always have chatter at iddle with SMF, but... you decided if the performance worth the chatter. Anyways, when you are running, with music and all that... you can heard it a little bit... or not. Depends.

Comment

Originally posted by grannyknot View Post

Originally posted by ethan View Post
                        I have the Rogue PCS kit, and even with the 14lb steel single-mass flywheel, it's noisy clutch out at idle. But it's also a total pleasure to use on and off track. No more difficult than stock (the clutch disc is a sprung-hub BMW part from some other model IIRC), but sharper somehow without the SAC.

Still, the stock unit is definitely the best price/performance and far and away the most comfortable. I'd guess it's the right choice in the vast majority of circumstances.
                        I went with Rogue Engineering (RE) Performance Clutch Kit (PCS), same as ethan references. RE has two options and we both went with the 14 lb steel flywheel (called the midweight flywheel) vs their 10lb aluminum option. The 14 lb'er is a pleasure on the street; no extra revs needed, smooth engagement and operation, its mild enough to have come from the factory. No chatter during engagement, either. Generally speaking, chatter will be partially mitigated through a sprung hub, which many kits use so that's nothing special, and I attribute the rest of the mitigation through the midweight flywheel (instead of the AL lightweight) and hybrid disk (different materials on either side) which RE spec's.

I definitely get transmission noise (not clutch noise) and it was really bad at operating temp when I had a auto trans based-oil in the transmission (very low viscosity). Ben at Rogue runs Redline MTL because he doesn't care about noise - I never tried that specific brand. My choice was the UUC's mix which has some polarizing opinions but they were one of the first to tackle the noise issue years ago. With the mix, noise has been cut down substantially but its still there, only at idle, clutch out. There's no other noise. I have a convertible so my review is based on acoustics with a soft top - the real M3 may be different.

For me, the noise trade-off pales in comparison to the benefits of pedal feel and engine behavior - total pleasure like ethan says. I have ~1,000 miles on the kit. Anyone is welcome to drive it in Northern Virginia.
                        Last edited by jbfrancis3; 04-16-2020, 04:11 AM.
                        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Working...
                        X