E46 M3 Navigation Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Navigation Delete

Has anyone successfully replaced the navigation unit with regular business CD unit?

I’m not interested in replacing the genuine stock navigation unit with aftermarket navigation unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t, but I have one if you’re looking for one

Comment

which navigation? BM54, BM24, Radio Navi?

Comment

I intend to at some point when I can get my hands on the parts. From my understanding you need the full stereo harness which requires removal of the complete interior including carpet to install. Then the console bracket is different since hvac controls move and you gain a sunglass holder in its place.

Comment

Should be pretty straightforward:

2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
            I intend to at some point when I can get my hands on the parts. From my understanding you need the full stereo harness which requires removal of the complete interior including carpet to install. Then the console bracket is different since hvac controls move and you gain a sunglass holder in its place.
            Wouldn't this be the same procedure as installing an aftermarket unit with an extension harness? The business CD in my 323i was directly swappable with an aftermarket unit, but my m3 required an extension harness to be run from the boot down the side of the car and into the dash.

I used the Eonon extension harness. There's a detailed installation video on youtube somewhere. I see no reason why this harness wouldn't also work with a business CD unit

Comment

Originally posted by poss View Post

Wouldn't this be the same procedure as installing an aftermarket unit with an extension harness? The business CD in my 323i was directly swappable with an aftermarket unit, but my m3 required an extension harness to be run from the boot down the side of the car and into the dash.

I used the Eonon extension harness. There's a detailed installation video on youtube somewhere. I see no reason why this harness wouldn't also work with a business CD unit
              True, forgot about that method. I had decided that I’d rather do it with the OEM harness, since I’d prefer to replace and remove unneeded wiring rather than add more in.

Comment

Bumping this thread back instead of starting another one. Has anyone converted Nav to non-nav using the oem harness? I would like to know if someone has done it and how to go about. I'm thinking of converting since I acquired a parts car and wouldn't mind the weight reduction and simplicity of the business radio setup. Paging Obioban, did you have a thread that showed how to go from Nav to business radio?

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                  Has anyone converted Nav to non-nav using the oem harness? I would like to know if someone has done it and how to go about.

the E46F link above referenced someone that was able to do it but they cut/reconnected wires where it was convenient for them.

if you have a parts car then practice taking apart the interior with it, you pretty much have to strip the interior to sheet metal to get the whole harness out in one piece, the hardest part being where the wires cross from driver to passenger side near the shifter and under what i think is the heater core (which has to be removed unless you want to cut wires).

FWIW here are some weights that you guys should expect to lose if you're deleting the nav system, keep in mind you'll be adding some of that weight back with the addition of the business cd components

complete navigation harness: 11 pounds

rear trunk hardware (BM53, IBus, DVD GPS, amp, mounting cage): 15 pounds

Comment

Working...
                  X