Oil level reading in the OBC with MSS54HP DME in a CSL conversion project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level reading in the OBC with MSS54HP DME in a CSL conversion project

I was reading in the original BMW CSL document that said that the car provides oil level reading via the OBC in the cluster, since the dipstick is very hard to reach. IIRC, this is a reading that ranges from 0.0 to 1.0, which indicates amount of oil above minimum required. If you are at 0.0, that means, go top it up. If you are at 1.0, you are good.

Question:

If I take a regular MSS54HP DME, and flash that with the CSL software, will the OBC oil level reading function show up? Or, is there another component that requires a flash, or coding exercise?
    2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
    ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
    Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Yes, and then it needs to be enabled via coding the cluster.

Comment

I've got this and I'd say don't bother tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by M3KVU View Post
        I've got this and I'd say don't bother tbh.
        why not?
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

why not?
          The reading does not always reflect the measurement on the stock dipstick. The measuring portion on the CSL dipstick is a bit different length, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

why not?
            The level changes so many times during a drive and sets off the yellow oil light even though the oil reading is perfect on the dipstick.
            I've seen it start at o.9l then drop to 0.3l then to -1.0l then back to 0.9l, all that just on a 50 mile drive.

Comment

Sounds like you need a new sensor — it should not be triggering the yellow oil light and the reading shouldn’t be moving around that much or really at all. Mine is super stable throughout an entire oil change interval. Doesn’t even budge 0.1L and seems accurate to the dipstick as well whenever I check. I’m glad I have it since I was dumb enough to install the short irritating CSL dipstick instead of bend mine.

Comment

My .02¢
                When this first came out I was all over this quirky mod. But time after time most who went through the hassle said it wasn’t really worth it. More a novelty. Because when it comes down to it if you’re relying on the sensor to give you the oil level. You therefore can put as much faith into the sensor reading for its “low” warning. If it ever sneaks by me and gets low the “low oil light” will trigger. I put more faith into the dipstick method for showing me general oil level. Besides I really don’t burn oil in my S54.

Yes I know later BMWs only use an oil lever sensor. But not this exact early sensor and software.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

With all that said. Its still is a unique E46 M3 mod, and have nothing against those who do it.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                    Sounds like you need a new sensor — it should not be triggering the yellow oil light and the reading shouldn’t be moving around that much or really at all. Mine is super stable throughout an entire oil change interval. Doesn’t even budge 0.1L and seems accurate to the dipstick as well whenever I check. I’m glad I have it since I was dumb enough to install the short irritating CSL dipstick instead of bend mine.
                    Already tried two genuine BMW ones and still the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by M3KVU View Post

Already tried two genuine BMW ones and still the same results.
                      That is weird as it usually just sits at +0.3L with short drives. On longer drives, it will refresh to show +0.5 to 0.6L which is closer to the actual 0.75L on the dipstick. CSL dipstick is a little different, measurement wise, so that might be why. The short read usually shows +0.5L. After starting the car when fully warmed up, wait exactly 2 min and hold the sport button for a few seconds.

Comment

The CSL software also has a lower threshold for the oil light to come on.

Does anybody have a DIY on how to code the CSL oil level indicator? I have a CSL converted ECU and some of the common coding tools. Any help is appreciated.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

OP has never owned an E9X M3...lol.

The early e-dipsticks are terrible.

Comment

I have it. It’s just not that useful beyond the stock low oil yellow cluster light, and either way you’re going to want to verify with the dip stick if it says it’s low (now there’s a nice e46 feature),

… mine does not bounce around as I drive, like the person above.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Mine doesn't bounce around at all, it may not be the most accurate but it's a nice feature imo nonetheless, I did it just as an excuse to use NCS.
                              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X