Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanos Sprocket Sleeve Bolt Question

Hey everyone,

I am doing the Besian upgrade to my Vanos and I was wondering what people opinions are on the sprocket sleeve bolts. Can I just clean my old bolts and apply loctite or should I buy new bolts? Do I need Lang Racing bolts? I thought I read that it was ok just reusing the old bolts, but I can't find that thread anymore on a search.

Thanks!
    2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Originally posted by Robert's_BMW View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am doing the Besian upgrade to my Vanos and I was wondering what people opinions are on the sprocket sleeve bolts. Can I just clean my old bolts and apply loctite or should I buy new bolts? Do I need Lang Racing bolts? I thought I read that it was ok just reusing the old bolts, but I can't find that thread anymore on a search.

Thanks!
    Yes you can reuse your bolts. However, those bolts sometimes shear and sheared bolts obviously can't be reused. No bolts were broken on my car but I still replaced all of them since the full set of replacement bolts is only like $20 or so.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I had five sheared bolts and the sixth was cut half way thru. I got new bolts from Lang Racing and used an oil resistant Loctite on them. Highly recommend that option.

Comment

Originally posted by SG/IRM3 View Post
        I had five sheared bolts and the sixth was cut half way thru. I got new bolts from Lang Racing and used an oil resistant Loctite on them. Highly recommend that option.
        I was looking at Lang Racing bolts, but the only thing that concerned me was that they use Loctite 263, which is a red, permenant Loctite. Not sure how I feel about that, especially if I want to change cams in the future.
        2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yes you can reuse your bolts. However, those bolts sometimes shear and sheared bolts obviously can't be reused. No bolts were broken on my car but I still replaced all of them since the full set of replacement bolts is only like $20 or so.
          Thanks for the info. I will probably just get new ones from FCP Euro, like you said, they are only about $25.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert's_BMW View Post

I was looking at Lang Racing bolts, but the only thing that concerned me was that they use Loctite 263, which is a red, permenant Loctite. Not sure how I feel about that, especially if I want to change cams in the future.
            Just use some other threadlocker then. The bolts themselves don't come with threadlocker on. I used some oil resistant blue Loctite, which I forgot the number of.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

They sheer only because they loosen over time and allow the sleeve to move around. If they came with threadlocker in the first place they would have been fine. If yours are all tight when you go to take them out, you can just reuse and apply loktite. You dont have to get heavier grade (doesnt solve for why they sheer), you can just get new oe ones and loktite. If you really want to, you can get Lang, but still loktite!
              Last edited by mrgizmo04; 04-17-2020, 07:11 AM. Reason: Still loktite Lang!
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X