Fuel starvation kit...street use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel starvation kit...street use.

Seeking info on the use of a fuel starvation kit on a full interior dual duty chassis.
    How is the noise?
    Does the main pump run easier under non demanding conditions?

Are you having a fuel starvation problem? I've never had that problem at 11 tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      Are you having a fuel starvation problem? I've never had that problem at 11 tracks.
      Really? I used to get fuel cut out on high G right hand turns when tank got to 3/8 full on the gauge.

Can’t help you on the noise op. I don’t really notice it, but my car is loud.

FYI Some have installed the kit incorrectly and the gauge doesn’t read true. Pay attention to the instructions.

I would say if its truly a dual duty car then just go out on track with at least 3/4 tank each season and you should be fine.

Comment

cheers guys.
        My pumps seem tired to me.
        planning on replacing the main pump next week.
        The transfer pump is behaving oddly, and is noisy.
        It appears that the transfer pump is n/a from third party vendors, hence my interest in the starvation kit.
        I have had the car for two years, and it has frequently gone flat when punching out of a right hander.
        I thought it was the tired suspension tripping the dsc, but it is still there after sorting the rear traction issues.
        It is a soft sag rather than the heavy cut by the dsc.

Comment

What would be the downside of running a fuel starvation kit on the street? It seems like it's questionable at best, but why?
          2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
          ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
            What would be the downside of running a fuel starvation kit on the street? It seems like it's questionable at best, but why?
            Just more complexity, and the risk of a poor install making the fuel gauge read incorrectly.

Comment

I'd try and replace the left side sucking jet pump. Not sure I totally understand it...some have great results with the OE setup. My car sucked so I installed an eBay pump. Its OK, I can run 1/4 tank.

In this case, I tried to DIY it. Should have just got the BW kit or tried a new sucking jet pump.

Comment

Brilliant.
                BMW seem to be abandoning any of their products that are approaching classic status.
                In my case:
                1, the transfer or jet pump is NLA.
                2, the clutch module that allows one to start the car AND have a functioning cruise control is NLA.
                They seem to be confident that they can force us into their newer market.

Comment

If you’re getting starvation on the street then either you’re speeding like a mofo or the oem system is on its way out and is due for a refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                  2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                    If you’re getting starvation on the street then either you’re speeding like a mofo or the oem system is on its way out and is due for a refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    i think the op is facing the issue that the “sucking jet pump” or whatever they call that part that brings fuel from the drivers side is NLA from BMW.

It might just be an issue of a hose fitting that needs repair or the pump itself. But if its that part that failed either the BW kit or a similar aftermarket kit makes sense.

Comment

Doesn't look like it's nla on websites, just that they're waiting on stock.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        Doesn't look like it's nla on websites, just that they're waiting on stock.
                        Agreed, but with the current landscape of manufacturing it could be months before this part is available again. The master cylinders took 4 months to get back into stock when they were unavailable last winter.

BMW dealers don’t let retail customers backorder either. So you are stuck checking dealer websites yourself until they come in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Agreed, but with the current landscape of manufacturing it could be months before this part is available again. The master cylinders took 4 months to get back into stock when they were unavailable last winter.

BMW dealers don’t let retail customers backorder either. So you are stuck checking dealer websites yourself until they come in stock.
                          Weird, dealers used to backorder shit all the time. I usually check stock in germany to see what lead times are looking like.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Weird, dealers used to backorder shit all the time. I usually check stock in germany to see what lead times are looking like.
                            My experience is based on Audi Silver Spring (getbmwparts). Maybe other dealers will, or maybe they won’t because they sell them at a discount.

I will say however that bimmerworld has come through for me a few times finding parts that were hard to get.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

i think the op is facing the issue that the “sucking jet pump” or whatever they call that part that brings fuel from the drivers side is NLA from BMW.

It might just be an issue of a hose fitting that needs repair or the pump itself. But if its that part that failed either the BW kit or a similar aftermarket kit makes sense.
                              Yeah that's the likely culprit. I had the same thing happen to me cruising on the freeway, then sensed the car buckling like it was being starved and rolled into a gas station like it was running out of gas. Found out the tank still had a half tank left, but after loading up with gas it went away. It was a sign that the jet pump was dead. Quick fix and was back on the road in no time.
                              2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Working...
                              X