Interior switched power sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior switched power sources?

I am in the process of wiring an AFR logging deal (Innovate LC2) and need a 12v switched power source.

I was thinking of using the same source in the DME box I used for my halos but don't want to string more wiring though the engine bay if I don't need to.

I have come up with the cigarette lighter or the handheld flashlight as possible place to tap for power inside the car. I also noticed there is a fuse for a telephone, would BMW have strung these wires somewhere even though I do not have the telephone and where would the telephone connection be located?

Thanks for any help!
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Telephone connector is under the center console, not sure if it's switched though. Cigarette lighter is not switched.

There's also the homelink connector. That's switched 12V, but it's located in the headliner (under the sunroof access panel thing), so you'd had to run some wire from up there.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I found pin #6 is indeed switched power on the telephone connector fwiw.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210911_191448.jpg Views:	3 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	126111

Purple/White wire:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_192854.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	126123
      Last edited by Cubieman; 09-11-2021, 04:30 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out B.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          Looking forward to seeing how this turns out B.
          I had planned on simply grabbing switched power from the DME box and ground from the factory jump point also in the engine bay however I felt I wanted to do something a bit cleaner and not have even more extra wires in the engine bay, although with some routing it likely would have been fine.

I tapped into the telephone connector, depinned a switched 12v and ground and cut the terminals off and soldered wire to them that runs from the center console to the glove box where the "brain" of the LC2 resides. I have the pigtails with factory terminals should I ever want to return it to factory...and use the telephone connector.

I have some tidying up to do, I think some strong double-sided tape should be good to affix the LC2 module in the glove box without sacrificing too much space.

One good thing using the telephone power/ground is it is already fused, currently at 5A, I would never run wires into the cabin unless they are fused.

Now to see if all this work pulling wires turns into an AFR figure on the screen of my laptop!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210912_001733.jpg Views:	20 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	126172 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210912_164618.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	126202
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cubieman; 09-12-2021, 01:48 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
          X