Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Oil Pressure Light

Hello everyone,

I had recently come across this issue right after performing the vanos rebuild, which included replacing the seals, o rings, cleaning out the vanos unit, replacing the solenoid with beisan systems unit, along with timing chain guide, oil pump disc, and exhaust hub. The process went smooth with no issues. After about a week or so, the red oil light would flicker on n off for a brief two seconds when rpms drop i.e. shifting to neutral when slowing down or coming to a stop. Oil level is good, and I have replaced the oil filter twice, first with a Mahle one and then an OEM one.

I have no history on whether the rod bearings have been done on the vehicle as I have purchased it for dirt cheap at 123k miles and now it’s a 127k. I have done an oil analysis at black stone, and have not detected anything suggesting getting rod bearings done, but I do plan on replacing them anyways soon. As for it being the oil pump, it’s weird how the issue began only after the vanos job. Not sure what I could have done incorrect, as this is a project car, and I did take my time on performing this job.

My next step would be replacing the oil pressure switch, and performing an oil pressure test while in there. After that, I wanted to remove the oil filter housing unit and inspect it for any clogging or debris that may be triggering the oil light.

Have any of you experienced this issue, and if you guys could give me any suggestions or direction on how to tackle this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's better to hook up an external oil pressure gauge and measure the pressure at idle to give a reference before the next step. To eliminate the rebuilt vanos as the source of the leak, replaced the vanos oil pipe banjo bolt with a solid bolt to cut off the vanos oil, then see how much it changes.

Re rod bearings, if no history then it should be check by remove the caps and check the bearing condition.

Comment

Lots of useful ideas in this thread:

Comment

Almost sh*t my pants when I saw this. Leaving cars and coffee this morning I noticed that a red oil pressure light popped up on the dash. Whenever I would move the car or take the revs anything above 1K RPMs the light would go away. Come to a stop and it immediately comes back on once the RPMs drop below 1k. My idle is around

I dealt with this problem earlier this year-- very scary and I still get PTSD sometimes lol. I replaced in this order
        - Oil
        - Oil Filter
        - Oil Pressure switch
        - Rod Bearings
        - Oil Filter Housing
        - Oil Pump

Wasted a lot of time and money tracking down the issue but ultimately the oil pump was the last thing I replaced and I haven't seen a red oil light in months (and thousands of miles).
        2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Working...
        X