Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. Here it is, as a liter, for $25, on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Syntr...t-video&sr=1-3

The $16 bottle is non LSD 75w140 fyi, if you see it on there.

You could buy 3 bottles for 2 services or buy 1 bottle, and then buy a half liter:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-castrol-.../001989520310/ $20

The full liter on ECS is $44 though, so Amazon is the best price by far.

But I contend that this Valvoline is a great choice too, and a great price at $16

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-773...-video&sr=1-19
    Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-16-2021, 09:03 AM.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

just ordered 2 liter's (Castrol)

Comment

Ok then, let's see if you get any noise. If you STILL don't have any groaning, I wonder if a non"LSD" lube (like the $16 liter of castrol on amazon) would be next to try. Could just be pissing $ down the drain. Maybe at that point, there's just no helping the LSD anymore and a rebuild is needed.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

From diffs online, now of course their job is to self diff rebuilds so....

The E46 M3 came with the M Variable limited slip that is known for a relatively short life span (right around 80k miles).
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

To test if your high mileage LSD is completely become "opened", jack up only one rear wheel and gear in neutral, no hand brake, try to turn the wheel and if it is turning then it is "opened". This is just a relative test, as a normal working LSD requires much more torque to slip the clutch than we could by turning the wheel.

Comment

What is the service interval for the Diff Fluid ?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                To test if your high mileage LSD is completely become "opened", jack up only one rear wheel and gear in neutral, no hand brake, try to turn the wheel and if it is turning then it is "opened". This is just a relative test, as a normal working LSD requires much more torque to slip the clutch than we could by turning the wheel.
                Does that test work on a viscous diff though?
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

My diff has 231k miles on it and is definitely dead, it does not lock properly at all. 🙁
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

How much does stock lsd cost to rebuild? Might just do that and sell when my new one comes in.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                      How much does stock lsd cost to rebuild? Might just do that and sell when my new one comes in.
                      If you are asking for non-diy I used tried and true diffs online (I went 3.91 though).

https://diffsonline.com/bmw-e46-m3-d...l#.YUPx9rhJFPY
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

If you are asking for non-diy I used tried and true diffs online (I went 3.91 though).

https://diffsonline.com/bmw-e46-m3-d...l#.YUPx9rhJFPY
                        Is this if you send the whole pumpkin to these guys or just the lsd? I'll just sell as is I'm not trying to go through that hassle.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Is this if you send the whole pumpkin to these guys or just the lsd? I'll just sell as is I'm not trying to go through that hassle.
                          Whole enchilada. Core charge is now 1200. Was only 750 when I did mine.

Comment

I wonder how much a used ass stock lsd is worth by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              Or maybe noise isn't the best gauge? (but what others are there besides feel?) Maybe to some degree, they will all make noise with a lube sans fm, and that, alone, isn't evidence that it's still locking adequately?

Maybe peeling out is the only way to be sure 😄
                              I have 120k on mine, fairly fresh fluid less than 10k and I can both hear and feel it doing its job in a parking lot.

Comment

I wonder how much a used ass stock lsd is worth by itself.
                                more than it was last year if they're now charging $1200 for cores

Comment

Working...
                                X