Thoughts on buying M3 with accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on buying M3 with accident

How much do you guys think an accident impacts resale? I’m looking for an e46 M3 and many of the good examples have something on the carfax. I still see them selling on BAT for good money with an accident on the carfax.

I am looking at buying a low mileage example but it has an accident on the carfax. It doesn’t even list where or the severity. Only comment wast the vehicle was still functional. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your question is very situation dependent. Repair work of any level gets reported by a shop. You best bet is to reach out to the sell and ask him about the accident and the work. Hopefully he is open and honest about it, so you can make and informed decision. Good luck!
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

The car wasn't totaled and it was functional after, so that means the car was deemed fixable. Now - you need to determine HOW it was fixed, and if it was fixed right, then I see no problem with buying such car. Especially if the accident happened some 15 years ago and the car is still on the road. But again, each instance is different.
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

That could mean anything.

Mine had a record just like that and it was a bump tap with a tiny mopad, and the PO actually had a picture of it at the scene of accident.

So best bet is to inquire for more detail on the accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
          That could mean anything.

Mine had a record just like that and it was a bump tap with a tiny mopad, and the PO actually had a picture of it at the scene of accident.

So best bet is to inquire for more detail on the accident.
          The issue that I’m having is the current owner didn’t even know there was an accident on the carfax. When they bought it 13 years ago they had a copy of a clean auto check report.

Comment

PPI is the only way to really get a good estimate of what happened
            2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
            ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Kinda depends how much you're spending.

For a decent car, I'd want a chance to look it over in person., and see pictures of the damage/repair if they are available. Then if you still want the car, use the report as a bargaining chip.
              2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Could be anything. Both of my cars have accident history, both from early on in their lives. TBH I don't know how much it would hurt resale. If the car is kind of garden variety, I don't think it matters as much as if it's a super unique or rare spec. If I were buying I would definitely want to see the car in person.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Was it a scrape on the bumper, or is the entire chassis tweaked?

Impossible to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 Coupe View Post

The issue that I’m having is the current owner didn’t even know there was an accident on the carfax. When they bought it 13 years ago they had a copy of a clean auto check report.

Are you already at the stage of negotiating price, and you're trying to push low because the accident is noted (I'm looking at your 1st question in post #1).

I would suggest stepping away from price for a moment, discuss the confusion if not already, and then agree to take it for a PPI as a way for you to understand the conflicting reported information.

If you're getting excited about to possibility of a suppressed price and gambling on everything else, either the sale won't happen with the current owner or it won't end well for you.
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Doing a PPI and moving forward based on the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 Coupe View Post
                        How much do you guys think an accident impacts resale? I’m looking for an e46 M3 and many of the good examples have something on the carfax. I still see them selling on BAT for good money with an accident on the carfax.

I am looking at buying a low mileage example but it has an accident on the carfax. It doesn’t even list where or the severity. Only comment wast the vehicle was still functional. Thoughts?

I see this car was serviced here in Phoenix in its early years. Where is your prospect now located? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                        X