No announcement yet.

What about the E46M does it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always enjoy stirring the passion for our M cars. I really enjoyed all of your input. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

The carbon airbox has been mentioned a few times already, but I think the high-dollar CSL program is one of the key things that sets this platform apart. It really let BMW turn M loose in a way I don't think we've seen since. While many car enthusiast communities are slapping loud exhausts and bigger turbos on their cars, E46 M3s get an aftermarket of CSL tunes, Schrick cams, excellent airbox and carbon roof replicas, Euro headers, etc. All told, you get something pretty close to a 996 GT3 or a '90s Ferrari for a fraction of the cost. And like those cars, it was all tested to work together at the factory such that done right, we don't have to worry about cooling issues or inadequate transmissions or whatever else happens when you bump the horsepower of a daily driver and take it to the track. And better than those cars, you can bring your wheels and full tool set to the track without having to tow.

But that's just one way to enjoy an E46. The more I've modded my HPDE car, the more I appreciate my stock M3. It's one thing to build a street car and another to build a race car, but blending those elements is extremely difficult as anyone who's built a dual-duty car can attest. BMW made the right street vs. performance choice at almost every turn: The stock M3 is very nearly the perfect street car. The S54 gives you the high-revving N/A race engine experience but with street car reliability. The styling is timelessly elegant but also sporty without being flashy or obnoxious. And importantly, I can fit 208cm SuperG skis because of the long wheelbase. There are almost no drivability or comfort compromises and few maintenance ones (aside from maybe M part prices, but compared to what?) It's a magical machine.

Lastly, the car's attributes seem to be the right filter for producing an excellent community.

Comment

Working...
      X