What about the E46M does it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the E46M does it for you?

It’s really hard to explain how the E46M owns your soul to someone that has never driven a M car of this nature. From the WOT buttery smooth 1-8,000k screaming to the next gear. To the phenomenal feedback and conversations the car has with you while deep in the twisties. Is it the subtle, but fat ass? Maybe it’s all of the curves and lines that come together that just makes her appear so classy and elegant, but also gets down like a dirty little whore.

No other car has made me feel the way the E46M makes me feel, other than a 996 turbo but that’s another animal. I’ve driven and owned many cars in my life, some with more than double the horse power, but nothing touches my soul like this M.

For me, if I had to choose the one thing that does it for me, it would be how connected to the car I feel in that drivers seat. She speaks so clearly, through every single gear and every single corner all the way to 8,000k. She’s my chosen daily and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

So what is it about the E46M platform that does it for you?

You just nailed it… I can’t put it any better… different format cars do that same thing in their formats… for example, I own a Benz 500E and S55 AMG which grab my soul better than other sedans, for many of these same reasons (supremely competent and unhurried at triple digit speeds, communicative, design masterpieces from Bruno Sacco, etc.)… but they are sedans… in wagons, my Audi Allroad 4.2 has been hands down the winner, even though there are faster wagons out there… for this format nothing does it better than the E46M to me… every now and then these car manufacturers hit a home run, and those cars become collectible… it’s not about the latest and greatest, loudest and fastest… it’s an exercise in design and ergonomic balance between looks, performance, reliability and engagement… this is one of those.

maw

PS… I should answer OPs question… for me this was always going to be a 4-seater convertible for a second home… something the kids and I could run round town, back and forth to the beach, dinner, 2 sets of clubs to the golf course, etc… and maximize the fun quotient without a lot of headache… plus for me having other performance Germans, it had to be athletic… and I didn’t want to spend more than $25k for that… then as now, for that format nothing does it better than the E46M
    Last edited by maw1124; 09-18-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

It has the "magic"

Like homebuying, when you feel it, you know.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Perfect size for just about anything and no unnecessary distracting functions/buttons like modern cars are consistent featuring now.

Comment

I used to attribute it to the performance this and that, but over time I've realized it's quite simple. It's a small car with good visibility and in my opinion looks really nice. The technical aspects like engine and handling are just icing on the cake. I have driven other cars that might technically be better on paper, but are always some huge boat or sit you way down that it feels claustrophobic!

Comment

For me it was a case of aesthetics first. Everything about our car's interior and exterior looks good to my eye and has since it was released. It appeals to the artist in me like few cars do. Proportions are right, lines are right, curves and bulges are right, materials are right, on and on. There is a mechanical appeal now as well. I've had the opportunity drive many different cars in the last year and even in my much less than optimal convertible when I return I congratulate myself on a car well bought.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Aesthetics. It has that right amount of power in my opinion. I've owned faster cars and they can go from 0 to jail too quickly. This lets me ring it out and enjoy it in the onramps and non obscured sweepers.

Something about the layout of the engine bay and other things that make service easy and want to work on it.

E90 is probably better than E46M. But, just preference of body style and package fits my current lifestyle. It might change when I have less time to work on it myself and will have to pay for more service in future.

Comment

S54

Comment

It’s the right size— hugely important to the driving experience IMO.
                  The engine rewards hard driving, which makes you want to drive it hard.
                  Perfect level of tech— Everything not related to driving it automated, nothing related to driving is automated.
                  Clear be informative cluster.
                  No gimmicks.
                  looks great.
                  great interior.
                  stupidly practical for how small it is. I LOVE the ability to have four 275s in the back seat, and still have the trunk for gear/stuff. Or, people.
                  easy to work on.
                  after locking down the big 3, surprisingly reliable. 15 years and 300,000 total miles into e46 M3 driving, I’ve been stranded once.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

You can fit four 275 tires in the back seat ?
                    This car needs an award !

Comment

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post
                      You can fit four 275 tires in the back seat ?
                      This car needs an award !
                      Sure can, try it in a convertible with a broken top. Ask me, I would know.

Comment

(And also in a coupe, yes)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Its the package. There are cars that look better, there are cars that have better engines, better suspensions, and handle/perform better. There are cars that are more luxurious, or more sporty, better appointed, and just better in any of the multiple areas and metrics that you can measure the car's performance, looks, etc. E46 just has combination of those qualities that makes it pretty darn hard to beat. Swiss knife of a sports car.
                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

All I know is mine was very rough when I bought it (still is in many ways compared to some cars on this forum) I have spent a small fortune restoring and just like, bringing it up to date. Why didn't I just sell it right away and cut my losses? I think you guys all get it, it's the driving experience. It's a super fun and rewarding car. I know I'd miss it if I got rid of it.
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I suppose besides some exotics, I doubt too many twenty plus year old designs still command thumbs up from the enthusiast crowd. Albeit certainly not as much as earlier years (it was downright ridiculous...), but still get them to this day.

Comment

Working...
                              X