Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    No resonators kill rasp

To be clear, there are 2 types of rasp. The word used to describe the overall harsh/mechanical sound the inline 6 and exh piping makes, then the particularly harsh chainsaw sound that comes alive after 3k, but goes away by 4k.

Cats and/or resonators in sect 1 will kill the short lived, heavy "rasp"

Cats/resonators/xpipe or 2.5" sect 2 will dampen the overall raspy character and give way to a smoother "tuner" sound. IMO, the full 2.5" piping makes more of a turbo dyson vacuum cleaner sound.
    As you and I have discussed, I have the SSv1’s, NonCat S pipes sect1, stock sect2, and SS Sport sect 3. Which sect 2 will kill more rasp, and still provide comparable performance to Stock Sect2: 1) SS Resonated single pipe sect2 or 2) SS Resonated dual sect2?

Comment

You'd want the dual pipe 2.5" for power reasons, and it'll kill more rasp. Resonated X pipe sect 2 would do it too, but there's a little loss of torque where the 2.5" dual pipe doesn't just lose, it makes more power.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Cats/resonators/xpipe or 2.5" sect 2 will dampen the overall raspy character and give way to a smoother "tuner" sound. IMO, the full 2.5" piping makes more of a turbo dyson vacuum cleaner sound.
        while we're on this topic....

I have OE USDM header, CPI RTX, SS resonated X sect 2, and SS Sport sect 3 and think it sounds absolutely great. I hate hate hate hate hate rasp.

Since then, I added an evolve CF airbox, so I'm interested in the SS dual 2.5'' resonated if it can breathe and make more power....but I'm not willing to sacrifice sound for a couple hp. Any additional detail or video about the difference in sound between the SS res X pipe and 2.5'' dual would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

As you and I have discussed, I have the SSv1’s, NonCat S pipes sect1, stock sect2, and SS Sport sect 3. Which sect 2 will kill more rasp, and still provide comparable performance to Stock Sect2: 1) SS Resonated single pipe sect2 or 2) SS Resonated dual sect2?

well, I have stock headers and replaced the section 1 and 2 and the rasp was essentially all gone.

I ran the CPI section 1 and the SS single resonated section 2. Very clean sound.

I then added a dinan section 3 which sounds ok. It’s still got zero rasp, and a deeper sound. Not a ton of character to it, so it’s not exactly the best, but it does generate a nice clean tone that matches the inline 6 well

i recently added an eventuri intake which was a surprisingly nice modification that notably enhanced induction noise

I’m pleased with the result compared to the money spent.

Comment

Working...
          X