Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uneven ride height after coilover install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uneven ride height after coilover install.

Hi. I tried doing a search, however couldn't find anything.

I just installed KW V2 coilovers and noticed my ride height is uneven from driver to passenger side. There isn't a huge difference, imo, maybe up to 1/4 of an inch or less. I did read from a random google search that it is natural to have a bit of discrepancy, but wanted to ask the forum gurus for any tips to help get it as even as possible, since my OCD is killing me.

I did the whole premeasure prior to install to get it as even as possible.

Thank you for the help!

Ensure the ground is flat and level. I've noticed ~3/8" difference in ride height simply due to a slight slope of the ground.

Comment

Driver side sits slightly higher.

How can you be sure all 4 adjusters are perfectly even anyways?
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

So just get it as even as possible, get an alignment and call it a day?

Comment

Basically, doesn’t really affect the quality of the ride anyways.

Just as a general question, doesn’t the right side sit lower because of the battery in the trunk?

Comment

Originally posted by erickhoyos View Post
            Basically, doesn’t really affect the quality of the ride anyways.

Just as a general question, doesn’t the right side sit lower because of the battery in the trunk?
            I thought the driver side was higher to account for the weight of the driver.

Comment

Find an alignment shop that also does corner balancing.

Comment

Pre-measuring will get you in the ballpark but you still need to fine tune. Ideally you would have it corner balanced to optimize the heights which is one of the appeals of coilovers. If you want to skip the corner balancing the LF should be ~1/8" higher than RF. RR ~1/8" higher than LR.
                2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
                Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
                Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Preface I have noticed that many cars I see are set up in a way that's at least far from optimal, and often worse than stock. Issues include, but are not limited to... -wonky front/rear stagger -insufficient bump or droop travel -ride height in ranges that compromise suspension geometry -alignments that compromise handling

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

luckily for you coilovers are, wait for it, height adjustable
                      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                        luckily for you coilovers are, wait for it, height adjustable
                        Yah, but, dont you have to take em off to adjust?

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

Yah, but, dont you have to take em off to adjust?
                          I'm fairly certain you can jack up the side you need adjusted to remove pressure and adjust without removing them.

Comment

A small point :
                            A correctly corner balanced chassis is not going to have optically desirable wheel gaps.
                            That is not the goal of corner balancing.
                            Corner balancing sets the height of each corner to achieve the correct weight distribution, and to achieve near 50% side to side weight distribution.

However, Using "corner balancing techiques and calculations" allows the chassis guru to determine how many turns of each adjuster you would need to get each side of each axle to match its neighbor....But the car would not be corner balanced, because that is not your goal.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
                              A small point :
                              A correctly corner balanced chassis is not going to have optically desirable wheel gaps.
                              That is not the goal of corner balancing.
                              Corner balancing sets the height of each corner to achieve the correct weight distribution, and to achieve near 50% side to side weight distribution.

However, Using "corner balancing techiques and calculations" allows the chassis guru to determine how many turns of each adjuster you would need to get each side of each axle to match its neighbor....But the car would not be corner balanced, because that is not your goal.
                              You can normally get it pretty optically perfect AND corner balanced, with some effort.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X