Head unit upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head unit upgrade

I have the old school style nav unit 4:3. I’m looking into installing the 9” eonon. On their website there is a certain plug style that this won’t work on. Does anyone have experience upgrading this style headunit

Following. Want an andriod unit with back up camera (on the oem handle position).

Comment

I don't have the eonon (went Avin) but they're likely referring to the FAKRA cable. If you car had OEM navigation, then you need to re-run a cable to the trunk of the car to have the new headunit function. If you don't have factory nav, you don't need to run the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch55 View Post
        Following. Want an andriod unit with back up camera (on the oem handle position).
        +1 for a backup camera in the OEM handle position. Currently have one in the light and it makes my licence plate lighting lib sided :/

Comment

I have an Xtrons 9" unit which will be for sale soon as I'm switching over to an AVIN Avant 4 for a more stock look. From my research, no matter what the branding is, they pretty much came out of the same factory in China. Not too familiar with the old school Nav, as my car had a newer widescreen version. Does your car have the Nav hardware in the trunk?
          '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
          '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
          '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
          '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

I have the Avin 4...hate it. Avoid it.

Comment

Anyone running an old school single-din unit with their HK system?

If so, how did you get this working correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
                I have the Avin 4...hate it. Avoid it.
                Any reasons why- would really like to know as I have an Avant 4 as well. Latest processor with DSP. Haven't had any issues (yet - knock on wood).

Comment

Originally posted by m3urthy View Post

Any reasons why- would really like to know as I have an Avant 4 as well. Latest processor with DSP. Haven't had any issues (yet - knock on wood).
                  Curious as well, I have an Avant 4 on the way so it's a bit late to cancel lol
                  '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                  '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                  '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                  '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Apple CarPlay volume is wayyyyyy lower than all other inputs. this means when im driving, ive gotta cut the volume all the way up for it to be a normal level unlike other inputs. so, when i listen to music, i simply use the built-in generic Bluetooth interface rather than CarPlay which negates me spending the extra $100 for wireless CarPlay.

add to that, ive got a nasty ass feedback loop coming from the head-unit. shabby internal grounding. i ran a additional ground wire for the head unit, still the same. im going to save up to buy a new radio and toss this one in the trash tbh (i spent like $800 after options smh).

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
                      I have an Xtrons 9" unit which will be for sale soon as I'm switching over to an AVIN Avant 4 for a more stock look. From my research, no matter what the branding is, they pretty much came out of the same factory in China. Not too familiar with the old school Nav, as my car had a newer widescreen version. Does your car have the Nav hardware in the trunk?
                      Yeah it has all the nav stuff in the trunk but the website says if I’m missing these 4 pins it won’t work

Comment

Apple CarPlay volume is wayyyyyy lower than all other inputs. this means when im driving, ive gotta cut the volume all the way up for it to be a normal level unlike other inputs. so, when i listen to music, i simply use the built-in generic Bluetooth interface rather than CarPlay which negates me spending the extra $100 for wireless CarPlay.

add to that, ive got a nasty ass feedback loop coming from the head-unit. shabby internal grounding. i ran a additional ground wire for the head unit, still the same. im going to save up to buy a new radio and toss this one in the trash tbh (i spent like $800 after options smh).
                        Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that.

My unit was purchased in OCT 2019. PX6 with DSP and the black carplay (wireless) dongle. Stock BM53 radio and HK amp. Had to get the Factory Nav extension cable too.

Upon installation I had grounding issues with all the right channels. Basically the volume was super faint. At first I thought it was my Carphonics BM53 (it wasn't) and then I thought maybe I needed to replace the HK amp (it wasn't that too lol). I went pin by pin on all the AVIN cables and found the culprit. It was one ground pin that wasn't seated correctly. Once I corrected that issue, it worked beautifully.

AVIN 4 + BSW + Upgraded 6x9 subwoofers = as good as you can expect for a 17 year old car. Sounds 10x better than my newer 718 Cayman.

I recommend the Avant 4, but just be super careful on installation. Check and double check.

Comment

This has been my my experience with other Chinese Android head units. Tried line out converters and all kinds of stuff but eventually went back to stock.

Comment

I have the Dynavin N7 and it is pretty damn sweet. I wish that I could loan in the torqe app or some kind of OBD2 functions. But otherwise it was literally plug and play. All my steering wheel controls work and everything.. Very very simple install and looks stock
                            Attached Files

Comment

How do your buttons feel on the Dynavin? I just got mine and they’re inconsistent. And the radio text won’t turn off, the PDC display isn’t working right, etc. all in all I expected more for the money...

Comment

Working...
                              X