No announcement yet.

Anyone ever driven a E46 M3 CSL or try to build their own American Tribute CSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever driven a E46 M3 CSL or try to build their own American Tribute CSL

Just curious, since the E46 M3 CSL is called one of, if not greatest cars BMW ever produced, has anybody here ever driven one and been able to compare what it was like to a standard E46 M3 or M3ZCP. I'm also wondering of how close if the parts were available could someone get to re-creating an American tribute version of a CSL using OEM parts. I know there's no comparison of the original to a copy, which is like Printed copy to the Mona Lisa, but I'm wondeing if anyone here has tried to get their cars as close as possible to an original CSL. I'm sure there are probably some members here, who have modded their cars to the point that they would actually out perform a E46 M3 CSL, but just wondered how close someone could get to the original. The car in this article almost looks exactly like my car, but I know the goodies are underneath and it's about 200 LBS lighter.

https://oldnewsclub.com/what-makes-t...sl-so-special/

M3dragon

https://e46m3.bimmerpost.com/forums/...d.php?t=715028
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

It's been done many times, with small degrees of variation (color, wheels, suspension, etc). daytonaviolet, DrJekyll, m3dragon, are a few that come to mind from the old forum days that set the bar.

Mechanically speaking you can duplicate the driving experience by retrofitting all of the parts. It won't be collectible per se (the parts carry a ton of value though) but then again there are people who modify their CSL's as well, even 6MT swap them, which actually bridge the gap to our modified/standard M3's.

I've got a solid tally of CSL bits already and will likely go the rest of the way someday but the reality is when you add up what it costs, it does seem silly just to do a genuine OEM copy. That's where most of us deviate into personal preferences and go a little off script with aftermarket parts. Adding your own touch and saving a bit of $ to end up with your own unique take on a CSL is generally more appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post
        it does seem silly just to do a genuine OEM copy.

for the drivers that don't drive a lot or spend their time researching and tinkering with the engineering bits on a car (ie. collectors) it's nice to just have and enjoy something that's "good" straight from the vendor

it's not my cup of tea but i can appreciate the appeal

Comment

Yea I drove one.

SMG sucks.

Steering is nice and the exhaust sounds awful.

Airbox is nice.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            Yea I drove one.

SMG sucks.

Steering is nice and the exhaust sounds awful.

Airbox is nice.
            Well that's a surprising opinion, so you're saying all the hype about an E46 M3 CSL is a bunch of Hogwash Well! that does it than, I'm keeping my crummy ZCP and saving the $ 100,000+ it would cost to purchase one of these CSL Clunkers.

Comment

Sharocks and jet_dogg are the resident curmudgeons, they mean well lol. I read half the threads just to see what they say sucks...

Click image for larger version  Name:	muppets-balcony.gif Views:	0 Size:	639.2 KB ID:	129168
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Silbergrau metallic View Post

Well that's a surprising opinion, so you're saying all the hype about an E46 M3 CSL is a bunch of Hogwash Well! that does it than, I'm keeping my crummy ZCP and saving the $ 100,000+ it would cost to purchase one of these CSL Clunkers.
                It's not like it's a different car.

It's literally just stripped out.

Yea it's more hardcore and the airbox sounds rad but for what they're going for, I'd rather build one.
                2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                  Sharocks and jet_dogg are the resident curmudgeons, they mean well lol. I read half the threads just to see what they say sucks...

Click image for larger version Name:	muppets-balcony.gif Views:	0 Size:	639.2 KB ID:	129168
                  I think I'm alone on the boat that the E46 M3 in it's entirety is an under 40k experience.

So to ask more than double is wild lol.

CSL's are cool because the internet says it's cool.

And SMG does suck, even on the CSL. Holy shit it was bad lol
                  2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

It's not like it's a different car.

It's literally just stripped out.

Yea it's more hardcore and the airbox sounds rad but for what they're going for, I'd rather build one.
                    Thanks what I kind of wonder, because as far as my 6 speed ZCP is concerned, there's nothing that sucks about that cars driving experience The only 2 things left I'm contemplating is a CSL Trunk lid either OEM or Karbonius and that Damn! CSL intake everyone raves about, but I just want to make sure I choose the right Intake and which Tune to go with, so it doesn't give me any headaches. Right now, my car runs perfect, but I'm drawn to that CSL intake like a Fat kid to Cup Cakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Silbergrau metallic View Post

Thanks what I kind of wonder, because as far as my 6 speed ZCP is concerned, there's nothing that sucks about that cars driving experience The only 2 things left I'm contemplating is a CSL Trunk lid either OEM or Karbonius and that Damn! CSL intake everyone raves about, but I just want to make sure I choose the right Intake and which Tune to go with, so it doesn't give me any headaches. Right now, my car runs perfect, but I'm drawn to that CSL intake like a Fat kid to Cup Cakes.
                      There's two OE CSL intakes for sale right now on this very forum.

I just installed a CSL intake on my car (Goke not OE I like being sane) and it's pretty cool at high rpms.

Unless your exhaust is somewhat quiet you won't really hear it at low RPMs.

The actual CSL was different in this regard. Because it was so stripped out and lacked sound deadening, you heard the box at all times.

That was rad.
                      2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

We'll try to post some details on this build in the future. With a mix of OE, Karbonius, and aftermarket upgrades, this one has everything aside from the thinner rear glass (even down to the exhaust valves, cabin filter housing, trunk floor, etc). We just swapped out the OE snorkel and flap for the Karbonius piece.

IND DISTRIBUTION | 847-963-4520 • INSTAGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKR

Comment

And SMG does suck, even on the CSL. Holy shit it was bad lol
                          LOL, laughed pretty good at this
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

+1 to all this. The CSL is a cool hot-rodded factory M3 but by no means is it the coolest hot-rodded M3 you can build.

If you do your research, you can build a much better driver than a CSL out of a 'regular' M3. And for waaay less money.
                            2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                            ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	muppets-balcony.gif Views:	0 Size:	639.2 KB ID:	129168
                              Bruh I ain't even posted yet.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                              X