Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business CD Radio >> OEM FS Navigation or OEM Cassette (4:3) Nav

Hey all. Question:

My ‘05 competition package has the normal business CD radio. I was wondering if I’d be able to buy either the OEM Cassette (4:3) navigation unit or the OEM Full Screen navigation unit and install/swap that BUT

I don’t care to actually go through the steps to make the navigation really work. I would just want the radio to work (to use a cig lighter adapter for Bluetooth).

Basically I like the look of the OEM nav but just need the radio to work. Possible?

Are you getting the nav for the screen or just for bluetooth? If the latter then see this thread https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...tooth-solution.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Negative. I will use the cigarette lighter to power a small Bluetooth adapter with the radio. To clarify, here are my goals:

1) Swap the business CD unit for a navigation unit BUT not actually use the nav. I just like the look of it (more premium vs. the business CD)

2) After doing number 1, ensure the RADIO portion of the navigation unit will work/turn on. This way I can still use the cig lighter adapter.

Comment

Yes, its possible, but kinda pointless. You want the more luxurious look of the Nav unit, but want to use cig bluetooth adapter? 🤷‍♂️Just get a Bluebus or an Avin unit.
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
          Yes, its possible, but kinda pointless. You want the more luxurious look of the Nav unit, but want to use cig bluetooth adapter? 🤷‍♂️Just get a Bluebus or an Avin unit.
          Yes but they aren’t OEM

Comment

I think in Europe you *could* have the monitor hooked up to just a radio as a factory configuration. But the work to install all that isn't too far off from just installing the whole nav setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post

Yes but they aren’t OEM
              And your cig adapter is? Bluebus is mounted in the trunk, you don't even see the unit.
              A fully integrated Bluetooth module for your vintage BMW
              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

And your cig adapter is? Bluebus is mounted in the trunk, you don't even see the unit.
                www.bluebus.dev
                I get what you’re saying but the adapter is super low profile.

Comment

I've read that the display in the dash is more or less just a "head unit" or monitor for the actual nav computer in the trunk which drives it. Don't know if this is an oversimplification, or if it only relates to drawing the navigation display. https://e39source.com/archives/797

"The software is installed on the navigation computer in the trunk. The term ‘head-unit’ is not really applicable with these BMWs. The computer in the trunk controls the display in the dashboard. The in-dash display is mostly just that, a display. It has some control buttons, and a tape player, but no software logic. Additionally, the map data is completely independent from the software. The software is the operating system for the navigation computer only."

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post

Yes but they aren’t OEM
                    Neither is the Bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter

Comment

Working...
                    X