CSL flap crapped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL flap crapped out

Well that didn't take long. I noticed my CSL flap stopped functioning, which is about a year and a half later and few thousand miles of driving.

I removed the flap motor and applied 12V. Functions perfectly, even with a load. Switched the leads and its spins perfectly in the opposite direction.

The plastic gear train and flap all move freely without the motor attached.

I then complimented myself on having a spare DME for emissions that I proceeded to swap into the vehicle. Flap still didn't work. So I said aha! its either wiring or the position sensor (TPS). Until it dawned on me that spare DME is just a regular one with AlphaN, and has no added flap control chips. You fckin... 🙄

So either 1) wiring, 2) TPS or 3) CSL DME chip issue. Anything else I'm missing?

Old posts across different sites point to TPS as culprit. That would be disappointing as it seem barely used (I bought the whole flap unit brand new).

Can I test the TPS as a regular potentiometer with a multimeter? I'm not swapping throttle TPS or the like as I don't mess with recalibration, etc.

Lastly, I did notice that upon reinstalling the motor, which can result in the flap being partially open, that upon vehicle startup the flap moved perfectly back to its fully-closed position.
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
    Can I test the TPS as a regular potentiometer with a multimeter?
    Yes.

I'd also make sure that the flap opening rpm is not set to some super high value if you've messed with the DME software recently.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Are you getting any codes?

Comment

Working...
      X