Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding noise just off idle (video inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To can measure the length of it compared to a new tensioner.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

100k miles now. I have never changed the tensioner, only the actual plastic guide. I just replaced that over the weekend.
      So this new noise happened after you worked on it last weekend? Then you need to remove valve cover and look around.

Comment

To replace the upper guide, vanos hub and sprocket were removed, so look them over. Any chances the guide bottom was miss placed on top of the bottom guide?

Edited: I mixed up, and the top guide should be on top of the bottom guide.
        Last edited by sapote; 10-14-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
          To replace the upper guide, vanos hub and sprocket were removed, so look them over. Any chances the guide bottom was miss placed on top of the bottom guide?
          Honestly I don't know, I've never really listened that closely. I was listening very closely since doing this work in case I heard any bad knocking and that's when I noticed it.

Comment

This just happened after the work done on last weekend?

Comment

Here is another video of a before and after Beisan overhaul:

My guess is it is the VANOS oil pump building pressure. When you spin the oil pump by hand during the rebuild, it makes a similar pumping sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

My guess is it is the VANOS oil pump building pressure. When you spin the oil pump by hand during the rebuild, it makes a similar pumping sound.
                It could be the noise of the disk larger holes vs no noise smaller holes.
                What included in the overhaul? Anti rattle kit, new small holes pump disk? The pump itself (4 pistons on eccentric shaft) should cause no noise.

Comment

I love how vid says repair kits making it sound gradiose when its just orings and a disc.

You can just use oem but have to replace them occasionally due to oring type.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

It could be the noise of the disk larger holes vs no noise smaller holes.
                    What included in the overhaul? Anti rattle kit, new small holes pump disk? The pump itself (4 pistons on eccentric shaft) should cause no noise.
                    That is not my video, but it has the full Beisan kit. The VANOS oil pump does make a pumping noise when spun with no oil pressure.

Comment

Exactly the same sound, you can hear it before and after on his car.

sapote like I said I am not sure if it made this noise before or not. I probably never paid attention.

Would anyone here with a 100k+ mile car mind taking a video like above and sharing it? Engine should be warmed up.

Comment

Sound similar to me just a very little bit quieter after.

Comment

Exactly the same sound, you can hear it before and after on his car.

sapote like I said I am not sure if it made this noise before or not. I probably never paid attention.

Would anyone here with a 100k+ mile car mind taking a video like above and sharing it? Engine should be warmed up.
                          Everyone's engine will be in various states of condition and would render any video pointless unless the maintenance was performed exactly as yours.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I got it now. Normal engine should not have that weird noise.

Comment

Bump in case anyone else would like to chime in with other ideas.

I now have 2000 miles since making this thread and the noise is still there exactly the same. Nothing has blown up or changed. Irks me a bit but... I guess it's fine?

Comment

Do you have the stock larger disk holes or the new mod smaller pump disk holes for the driving hub tabs?

Comment

Working...
                                X