Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to update this soon, here are a few things recently done.

Engine work is done: VANOS is bulletproof'ed, rod bearings & bolts got swapped, 288/280 cams are in time, valve adjustments done.

Most importantly, the S54 is back in the chassis. The car will be on the road in 2-3 weeks, maybe - if coilovers, seat brackets and a new top reinforcement kit makes it in time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8920.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	230833

Name:	_DSC8564.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	230834

Name:	_DSC8548.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	230835

Comment

: )

I need to find time to install the CSL airbox now. I also pulled the recall campaigns off the VIN. Airbags need to get done still.

Name:	_DSC9674.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	231449

Name:	_DSC9705.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	231450

Name:	_DSC9670.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	231451

Comment

Some more shenanigans!

I tested fitted the Recaro CS and BK mounts. No spacers needed for my height, it doesn't hit the center console like the PP ABE mounts.

I also put the OE boot on. It needed to be cut as I was unbothered by attempting to remove the knob off the RTD. I'm working with a company to do a clip-in flat panel that will be upholstered to specs for the upcoming RTD group buy.

Name:	_DSC0470.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	231835

Name:	_DSC0474.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	231832

Name:	_DSC0483.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	231829

Name:	_DSC0478.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	231830

Name:	_DSC0488.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	231834

Name:	_DSC0481.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	231833
        Attached Files

Comment

AH! Got to play catch up again here. We've made good progress this Fall, and the car is close to reassembly. I'll drop the latest entries in separate postings. .
          --
          NEW BUILD JOURNAL ENTRY

"We just wanted to be sure."
          Link to the full entry.
          I also filmed and edited a reel here.
          ---

Special Series: E46 1:1 Carbon Doors

In this entry, I touch on expectations of OE+ versus Motorsport doors, and we finally test fit the 1:1 OE carbon doors along with the widened carbon fenders.

I document the gaps, and body line alignments along with insights on how doors are aligned.

We were pretty stoked about the final fitment.

Up next: It's time for the last round of paint on the restoration and color change.

We'll inspect the finish quality we achieved, along with interior accessories fitment, and my final impressions on the door’s feel.

P.S.: I forgot to post the previous two entries to this Special Series and will photo & video dump them later on this week.

Cheers!
          Matt
          @m3_epoustouflant

Name:	_DSC2109.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	239656

Name:	_DSC2076.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	239657

Name:	_DSC2055.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	239655

Name:	_DSC2056.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	239654

Name:	_DSC2051.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	239658

Comment

Maybe this is a dumb question, but we've been on the subject of body shops in another thread and it makes me wonder, how are you going to match all the pieces fully when they're not being painted at the same time? I assume you have this thought out, and clearly with a build like this, anything but an exact match won't fly. I'm curious if you have a bunch of extra paint pre-mixed and stored (how long does it last?) or how that works. I think everyone I know who has done a big build like this has painted the car and all the parts all at the same time.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
              Maybe this is a dumb question, but we've been on the subject of body shops in another thread and it makes me wonder, how are you going to match all the pieces fully when they're not being painted at the same time? I assume you have this thought out, and clearly with a build like this, anything but an exact match won't fly. I'm curious if you have a bunch of extra paint pre-mixed and stored (how long does it last?) or how that works. I think everyone I know who has done a big build like this has painted the car and all the parts all at the same time.
              It's actually a great question. There's lot of opacity when it comes to paint work.

In short, the issues that come up with color matching will usually arise from cars that have seen UV exposure and use different products, across different panel materials.

Here, the color fornulas stays the same using the same BASF pigment with the same preparation work across every single panel along with using the same spraying methods & overall thickness per color and clear coats.

As an example, for color matching, the shop usually uses a gas cap to match. It's what we did this week on my M5's rear bumper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC3175.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	239667
              Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC3170.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.9 KB ID:	239668

The doors and other panels have been sprayed and clear coated.

The issues we've faced came from surface contamination of carbon panels, notably the trunk. No matter how careful we prep'ed it, it seems the gel coating used in the CSL trunk's mold led to surface contamination - commonly called "fish eyes". I haven't had much luck when it comes to Karbonius' gel coat, we had similar fish eye issues on the roof's original clear coat.

We had to sand down the clear across the hood, trunk and doors to re-clear again, eliminating the issues. We did the same to the roof previously over last Winter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2972.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.4 KB ID:	239670
              Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2987.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.7 KB ID:	239669
              Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC3002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.8 KB ID:	239671
              Last edited by Epoustouflant; 10-27-2023, 02:48 PM.

Comment

--
                NEW BUILD JOURNAL ENTRY

"A New World."
                Special Series: Widened Carbon Fenders
                Link to the full entry.

In this entry, I explore new wheel fitment possibilities opened up by the wider fenders in preparation for the 163M CSL style forged wheel program.

I include fitment tables and in-depth specs, and future fitments I want to explore.

See below for the preview. You can spec a set of widened fenders year long here.

The first set of prototype, raw forged CSL style wheels are (nearly) here .

Up next: we do the final fitment of the fenders during re-assembly, and we revisit the wheel fitment with tires mounted.

Cheers!
                Matt
                @m3_epoustouflant​

Name:	_DSC3864.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	241004

Name:	_DSC3803.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	241005

Name:	_DSC3711.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	241002

Name:	_DSC3853.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	241001

Name:	_DSC3726-2.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	241000

Name:	_DSC3789.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	240999

Name:	_DSC3831.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	241006
                Attached Files

Comment

This pic looks dope, you can really see the increased track of the fenders here.

Can't wait to see this beast come together.
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                    This pic looks dope, you can really see the increased track of the fenders here. Can't wait to see this beast come together.
                    Thanks dude 👏

Here's another that I find not too bad - it'll be fun to have a side by side versus an original car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC3599.jpg Views:	0 Size:	281.8 KB ID:	241060

Comment

Progress is being made - fast. You got to love the deserts and autobahns of a build process.

Name:	_DSC5669-2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	242450

Name:	_DSC5788.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	242448

Name:	_DSC5630.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	242449

Comment

can't wait to see what this tips the scales at when the dust settles.
                        /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
                          Progress is being made - fast. You got to love the deserts and autobahns of a build process.
                          Always loved putting my cars back together after a full respray. Some say it’s the bumpers and hood installed. For me something about getting to the windows, lenses/headlight/taillights and exterior trim you can really notice a large completion of how it’ll look imho. Something about the sparkle and filling in the silhouette.
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                            Always loved putting my cars back together after a full respray. Some say it’s the bumpers and hood installed. For me something about getting to the windows, lenses/headlight/taillights and exterior trim you can really notice a large completion of how it’ll look imho. Something about the sparkle and filling in the silhouette.
                            100% - it isn't a car until it's got its eyes back!

We nipped and tucked them up a bit.

Name:	_DSC5128.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	242562

Comment

Everything looks good Matt, I don't agree with the yellow carrier though.

Looking forward to this more interesting build.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                                Everything looks good Matt, I don't agree with the yellow carrier though.

Looking forward to this more interesting build.
                                The subframes? I was 100% people pleasing, old habits.

Thanks for the feedbacks, appreciate you.

Name:	_DSC0206.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	242719
                                Last edited by Epoustouflant; 11-20-2023, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X