S54 Stroker Kits - PRO/CON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
    Talk to Naturallyagitated on instagram. He's got a 3.4L stroker. He might have some insight. He's been very helpful when I was rebuilding my engine. Good luck!
    Will do, thank you.
    2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      How's your driving skill? I'd focus on that looong before doing a stroker build. Also, potentially long downtime and not being able to drive the car sucks. Ditto everything stated above regarding it being poor value, sticking with bolt ons and going the route of removing weight.
      Of course I'm focusing on that as well. This is more to gather info as said above, if there's some more literature that I havent come across etc.
      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

Why does VAC have this reputation, with respect only to the stroker. There are a few channels, very indy that I've uncovered that run stroker S54s but they are not in road car applications only track oriented (that right away puts it off for me, but the question still stands). Is it due to their existing or past performances that we are now attributing this reputation to, or something else?

In Toronto, and Canada as whole, there are areas where 94 and 93 is available from Petro Canada and Esso respectively. The former bought out Sunoco which was the only outfit to serve 94. However from tunning and Hassans own words, the fuel is poopoo, cars with 91 in California are running more timing that what he was able to see on the dyno with my car. In short, 93/94 is available.

The allure to Carbahn is because of Steve's record and reputation, their facilities, and its the lowest increase in displacement with an increase in stroke of 1mm which results in 3.3L and change. Getting whats effectively a zero mile engine etc. However, the most appropriate quote to my needs that I got was 15k USD with my current engine as core supply, which in CDN ruples is a considerable amount of money not far off what I paid for my car almost 2 years ago.

Currently as the car sits (sig), I have everything except for the cams to really make the bolts on work to their potential. The way I go about doing anything on the car is to do it once but do it right. I dont mind waiting and planning for moves that will really stay on the car. That's the purpose of this thread, gather information and experience from various members.
        Stop wasting time money at any other gas station.

Shell 91 is better than Sunoco esso, Petro Canada 93. Etc

​​​​​​The knocks adapts better with shell gas.

​​​​​​As for the stroker topic, start of with an S65 basebas

​​​​​
        Last edited by ZiMMie; 10-13-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I have a 3.5L stroker in my E46, been running strong for 12 years and around 20000 miles.
          I’m going to build another one this winter for my E36 track car.

Comment

Originally posted by Acetech View Post
            I have a 3.5L stroker in my E46, been running strong for 12 years and around 20000 miles.
            I’m going to build another one this winter for my E36 track car.
            Amazing, what are the specs of the engine. What's the intended use for it? How was maintenance like etc etc. Is it worth it over just a full bolt on CSL cams exhaust with generally the same intended use case 90/10 road/track?

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
              Talk to Naturallyagitated on instagram. He's got a 3.4L stroker. He might have some insight. He's been very helpful when I was rebuilding my engine. Good luck!
              Per his website,

We went overbored (pun intended) on the motor. The original S54 was stroked and bored to 3.44L. Cylinder head port shape was redesigned, and we added the largest lift cams we could fit without removing the vanos system (14.5mm - 12.5mm is stock). Makes 395whp 288wtq at 8300 RPM - SAE numbers.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Per his website,

We went overbored (pun intended) on the motor. The original S54 was stroked and bored to 3.44L. Cylinder head port shape was redesigned, and we added the largest lift cams we could fit without removing the vanos system (14.5mm - 12.5mm is stock). Makes 395whp 288wtq at 8300 RPM - SAE numbers.
                IIRC his cam specs are something like 304/290, with 14.5mm of lift.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

The peak power is government almost exclusively from the top end of the engine and the induction/exhaust system as thats the limitation of moving air and hence fuel through the engine (when you aren't limited by rpm). The cubic inches just dictates what rpm the engine makes the power numbers at i.e. a stroker will peak at a lower rpm all else equal

Unless you are specifically wanting an engine with torquier characteristics that needs less windup, then a stroker is not what you want. If you want more torque then It you need to maximise the engine cubic inches (stroke and bore) and a 3.3L with 1mm overbore (excessive) is not how you do it.

Comment

If you have a spun bearing...why not build a stroker? I definitely thought about it when I spun a bearing.

Comment

Not worth it.

400 whp in this car is still slow even NA.

Aim for 350 whp with all the bolt ons and cams and be happy.

Stroker kits are really for the folks that either really wanted to do it and had the money to burn, or it's a track car and you already know it's gonna need a rebuild in 10k miles. If that.
                      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                      2005 BMW ///M3
                      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                        If you have a spun bearing...why not build a stroker? I definitely thought about it when I spun a bearing.
                        yeah if engine needs a rebuild and new crank it makes a bit more sense but it is still like $6k+ extra in parts for like 20-25 extra numbers

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

yeah if engine needs a rebuild and new crank it makes a bit more sense but it is still like $6k+ extra in parts for like 20-25 extra numbers
                          True. I think you get far more benefit out of chassis, suspension and differential mods. Specifically ditching the M-Lock for a ZF clutch LSD. For me, it is a transformative change that rewards skill which is also reliable and serviceable.

Highly underrated IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                            or it's a track car and you already know it's gonna need a rebuild in 10k miles. If that.
                            Where does the concept of a stroker needing frequent rebuilds come from?
                            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Where does the concept of a stroker needing frequent rebuilds come from?
                              Lang told me himself that any stroker setup he sells, will require more frequent rebuilds.

Reasons why, I would guess would be parts wearing out quicker.

I've only ever seen 1 3.5 S54 in person, but I highly doubt that car had any more than 2k miles on because it was still with it's original owner in 2020.

There is another one in Colorado that get's used more often but it just got done so tough to say.
                              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                              2005 BMW ///M3
                              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                                Making the car lighter is much better return on money-- 300 lbs ~= 30 hp, which is probably what the stroker will gain you. But, 300 lbs also makes the handling, braking, feel, efficiency, reliability, tire wear, brake wear, etc, all better as well! 300lb isn't a stretch for what you'd be spending on a stroker.
                                What have people been able to do to remove 300lbs from while still retaining daily / creature comforts on these cars?
                                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X