CPV oring keeps tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPV oring keeps tearing

So I was having an issue when I was installing my CPv and seems that the threads going into the block have to rough spots. Some of the threads seem to have an oil journal cut through them, and this is what seems to be tearing my o rings when I tried to screw it in all the way. I ripped one gasket and installed the second one without tearing it, however the cpv is not fully inserted like many of the DIYs show it to be. And advice? I’m wondering if I will need to file down the edges of the sharp threads or something

I don't know if it's advisable but you could carefully use a thread chaser. Also make sure you are lubing the oring to prevent pinching and using one made from viton.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I would not use a thread chaser as this can introduce metal into your oil. If you're replacing the cpv too, grab the old one without a gasket and thread it in all the way and out a couple times to clean the threads. If the threads are damaged on the old cpv then use the new one. But as above use lube (oil works) and viton seals

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it need to be seated all the way in? It starts to get tight when I put the gasket on but the CPV still protrudes out a little bit. When I take the gasket off at threads right in all the way no issues

Comment

Just tried it again, this was my last gasket….
          I don’t understand what the issue is, or how this could have happened, it threads in just fine with a barley noticeable hesitation at one spot. Once it’s finally seated, I can clearly see with a mirror that the cpv gasket is dislodge and sticking out of from inbetween the cpv. The gasket is getting sliced each time. Should I stick some sand paper in it?? I’m at a loss

Comment

Comment

Inspect the threads on the cpv. If difficult to discern damage, clean up the threads on it with either a die or thread file, then get the burrs off and try again. If that doesn't work, try a new cpv.

If neither of those work and the problem is the block and if you had one of these you'd be able to safely chase the internal threads by backing it out and cleaning with a magnet if you're careful,

2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                Inspect the threads on the cpv. If difficult to discern damage, clean up the threads on it with either a die or thread file, then get the burrs off and try again. If that doesn't work, try a new cpv.

If neither of those work and the problem is the block and if you had one of these you'd be able to safely chase the internal threads by backing it out and cleaning with a magnet if you're careful,

Have a link to a took like that? I dont even know what thats called

Comment

It’s a Nes internal thread repair tool. It has a floating cutter to match a variety of thread pitches and you can chase from any point on the internal threads ie from the back to the front or vice versa.

Comment

Where did you get the orings from? It's possible they're just too big

Comment

Originally posted by Lukem3 View Post

Pretty sure that both of them were the ecs viton one. I can confirm atleast one of them was. They didn’t seem to be excessively big, looked normal to me. This sucks. I think I’m gonna go buy an assortment of 16mm x 2mm gaskets, and get rogue with this thread repair, at this point the only reason I’m concerned is about metal shavings, I haven’t even started my motor yet since its had a full rebuild. This is literally the only thing stopping me from starting the car…

Comment

From the photos it looks like the gasket isnt seating properly and getting crushed by the cpv. Viton changes shape and size easily, it's possible it got stretched during install. You can try to install a new viton one and leave it in the freezer overnight so the gasket shrinks.

Comment

From a couple searches looks like the size is 17.5 O.D., 14.5 I.D. And 1.5 cross section. 16x 2 is too large and will not seat right. 1.5 x 14.5 is what you want

Last edited by Lukem3; 10-20-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

From a couple searches looks like the size is 17.5 O.D., 14.5 I.D. And 1.5 cross section. 16x 2 is too large and will not seat right. 1.5 x 14.5 is what you want

I dont doubt what your saying, but the oem one on ecs says it’s 16x2. But the freezer trick sounds like a good idea. I’m gonna go to some local stores and see if I can find some gaskets with those dimensions, freeze it, and try using some sand paper to take the edges off the threads.

Comment

This seems like a likely answer too, from your pic it looks like it is to large of an OD and cutting itself on the bore as it is screwed in. The o-ring should not be contacting the threads IMO. Buy them from mpower22, I've installed a few dozen of his without any issues.
                              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                              X