Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which section 2 ? SS x pipe or SS Dual pipe resonated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve asking been doing research into SS section 2 options. I just installed the Rogue Engineering Rasp Pipe 2.0 and an SS Sport section 3. I love everything about the set up except I get a little drone at 2-2.5k RPM that I would like to reduce or eliminate if possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether either of the resonated SS section 2’s would help?

There seems to be a lot of contradiction between which pipe is better.

FWIW I don’t have headers and don’t plan on adding them anytime soon.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

I've had both. Dual will be deeper and lose the high pitch wail up top. Single will not make more power.

Both reduce rasp considerably. Depending on what you have bolted in front of -and behind it- will determine if you eliminate the rasp completely.

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post
        I've had both. Dual will be deeper and lose the high pitch wail up top. Single will not make more power.

Both reduce rasp considerably. Depending on what you have bolted in front of -and behind it- will determine if you eliminate the rasp completely.
        At this point from everything I’ve read I’m leaning towards the X-pipe. I’m just curious if it will help reduce any drone….

I have the RE Rasp Pipe 2.0 in section 1 and the rasp is pretty much gone.

Comment

DTK, if you're happy with the current setup then don't change it.

Personally I don't think I've ever once cared about drone nor does it dictate my choice in exhausts.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            DTK, if you're happy with the current setup then don't change it.

Personally I don't think I've ever once cared about drone nor does it dictate my choice in exhausts.
            My scza really helped out a lot. What a difference in cabin noise and overall noise when compared to my B&B tri flow. Although there is some rasp with my euro header and euro sec 1 but I can live with it (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post

At this point from everything I’ve read I’m leaning towards the X-pipe. I’m just curious if it will help reduce any drone….

I have the RE Rasp Pipe 2.0 in section 1 and the rasp is pretty much gone.
              Drone is cumulative; the less damping (cats, resonators, etc) midstream will allow frequences to resonate in the pipes below the cabin, which then acts as a drum.

Muffler will magnify or reduce it. Tubing material will too - thinner walls will be louder. X pipe won't really affect drone per se...Might be slightly less drone simply because the resonator itself is bigger than the stock sec 2.
              Last edited by jvit27; 12-20-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post

Drone is cumulative; the less damping (cats, resonators, etc) midstream will allow frequences to resonate in the pipes below the cabin, which then acts as a drum.

Muffler will magnify or reduce it. Tubing material will too - thinner walls will be louder. X pipe won't really affect drone per se...Might be slightly less drone simply because the resonator itself is bigger than the stock sec 2.
                Thanks for the reply, very good description of how drone comes about. I understood it previously but you worded it very well.

Do you think the SS X pipe resonated will be louder, quieter, or equal to the stock section 2?

I knew there was a chance a new section 2 pipe might not help with my (small) drone issue but the reason I was asking the forums opinion is because as I understand it the SS twin pipe set up has more volume which should reduce pressure in the pipes and I thought maybe that could help with the drone issue.

That being said it seems like most people prefer the drivability and sound of the X-pipe (assuming they don't need the extra volume/flow the twin pipes have for higher HP set ups).

Still not sure what I'm going to do but will drive the car more with the rasp pipe and exhaust before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post

Thanks for the reply, very good description of how drone comes about. I understood it previously but you worded it very well.

Do you think the SS X pipe resonated will be louder, quieter, or equal to the stock section 2?

I knew there was a chance a new section 2 pipe might not help with my (small) drone issue but the reason I was asking the forums opinion is because as I understand it the SS twin pipe set up has more volume which should reduce pressure in the pipes and I thought maybe that could help with the drone issue.

That being said it seems like most people prefer the drivability and sound of the X-pipe (assuming they don't need the extra volume/flow the twin pipes have for higher HP set ups).

Still not sure what I'm going to do but will drive the car more with the rasp pipe and exhaust before making any decisions.
                  X pipe will affect the tone more than anything. It won't gain any power, and might even lose some since technically the crossover isn't in the right place. I noticed the car was less snappy down low with an X pipe, and throttle response woke back up when I put the stock sec 2 back in. But it has less rasp for sure. IMO not worth the hassle or expense, but i'm used to being disagreed with when it comes to mods 💩

I have/had the full SS system (V1 stepped > sec 1 race cats > dual oversize resonated sec 2> sport muffler and it absolutely droned. Put the stock muffler back on and the drone is 95% gone, but a little bit of rasp returned. I've been happy even though the car is a little on the quiet side. The dual sec 2 is a nice piece, but I don't have a high hp setup so it's kind of a waste, enough so that I may go back to stock to get some of the high pitch wail back.

Also I think drone will always be present to a noticeable degree if you don't have cats. I'd assume with zero science behind my guess that they cancel out some soundwaves somehow. Catless cars always have a brappy rasp beyond what is unique to the S54, so I would simply not be surprised they played a role.

Comment

Working...
                  X