Will miss the combustion engine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will miss the combustion engine..

ICE is no more. I say enjoy the last vestiges of the ICE. My 60k mile M3 sounds so cool right now. Anyone else shedding a tear?

Yes and no. When I look back at my life, there are so many fond memories fueled by petrol, so I do get a little sad, esp because my son won't have that same experience as I did with my father. But the world turns, and things change. TBH, the ICE is already compromised so badly by governmental intervention, my ideal ICE doesn't exist anymore anyway (other than in used vehicles).

At least we can enjoy the older stuff for a while longer. We have a huge repository of videos of the best motorsport over the years that we can enjoy whenever we want.

What bothers me the most is that the powers that be are putting the pollution problem on the shoulders of regular folk just like they did with recycling.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have my little collection that I’ll be keeping well past their expiration dates (E46/E39 Ms and ND2 Miata) but most boring vehicles on the road today would be far better as EVs. There are plenty of awesome ICE vehicles for enthusiasts to choose from out there already. The age of non-turbo high revving engines, which is what most people here appreciate, has been over for a long time. I will never own a Tesla because that company is garbage but would definitely be excited to daily a decent EV. Although currently I mostly work from home and hope to keep it that way so should be able to make my current fleet work just fine even if gasoline prices go through the roof in the coming decades.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      What bothers me the most is that the powers that be are putting the pollution problem on the shoulders of regular folk just like they did with recycling.
      Really not sure where you are going with this.
      Last edited by repoman89; 11-19-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin View Post
        ICE is no more.
        You wouldn't think anything is changing by the number of paper plates I see when driving around. Crazy, imo, to go buy brand new knowing what's on the horizon and with fuel prices already moving up so quick.

As Tbone said, the world turns and change is the only constant. I'm not super excited about the idea of waiting on a charger, or waiting for an EV to charge if on the road. Admittedly, I don't look for charging stations but it feels like the infrastructure is way behind the push to get people into an EV. One of the Tesla guys at work said the pain is real when it comes to charging away from home, but that's just one persons experience.

Maybe I'll just get a one wheel lol.

Comment

what we should be worrying about is the fact that Tesla has been silencing the critics by making their cars stupid (and needlessly) fast
          it's ok for now because the large majority of buyers are sensible people that are just looking to commute efficiently

it's gonna be mayhem when these cars get cheap enough and idiots start getting their hands on them

Last edited by usdmej; 11-19-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
            Really not sure where you are going with this.
            I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I would guess that he's referring to how the bulk of global pollution comes from large corporations. Just look at how much pollution container ships generate by burning bunker fuel. Instead, legislators use their energy to crack down on private citizens' vehicles, causing them to cost more initially and cost more to repair.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Yes, I was commenting that my lamentation is eclipsed by the distaste that comes from knowing that the changes to motorsport and vehicles have been done for political and economic (privative the gains; socialize the losses [or pain]) reasons and not actual good stewardship of planet earth.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                what we should be worrying about is the fact that Tesla has been silencing the critics by making their cars stupid (and needlessly) fast
                it's ok for now because the large majority of buyers are sensible people that are just looking to commute efficiently

it's gonna be mayhem when these cars get cheap enough and idiots start getting their hands on them
                Tesla is selling sizzle and steak. IMO - BMW is worse, branding half their line (including truck SUVs) with the ///M sub-brand.

Comment

What about converting to run on moonshine?

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
                    What about converting to run on moonshine?
                    Now we're on to something, also what did I miss? Did legislation put a death sentence with no parole on combustion engines?
                    Last edited by Cronenberged; 11-19-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I think there’s a positive way to look at it: I’m looking to replace the boring daily-driver cars in my household with Tesla’s (brother has one, love it), put the money saved on maintaining them into the M3, and enjoy the M3 on the weekends as long as I can get away with it.

Comment

Try getting parts for a Tesla.

Jesse
                        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I honestly don't give a shit. I've got all ICEs I'll ever need already.
                          As long as I can get parts to keep at least one of these on the road, I'm totally fine never buying another vehicle.
                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I had this thought as well.

Gas prices surge here in Cali because they're taxing us harder on it to fund their "green" initiative. They are slowly rolling out incentives for electric cars, that don't pay gas taxes because they don't pump. Eventually preventing the purchase of new petrol cars and development of new gas stations to force us into buying the more convenient and "green" electric vehicles so they can give tax breaks to large companies to open facilities here to employee more people to provide more tax money to the state.

In my mind I "think" I have to move to electric platform because of the high gas prices and to take advantage of the incentives before they end to "save" money. But then I'll end up with another bill and paying sales taxes to the state. But if I stay with my paid off petrol cars, I'll keep paying high gas prices. Damn, they got me by the balls don't they.
                            Last edited by simonnim; 11-19-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I can’t help but think of the documentary ’Who Killed the Electric Car?’ as these threads pop up.

Comment

Working...
                              X