DIY: OEM CSL MAP/IAT/FLAP Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: OEM CSL MAP/IAT/FLAP Wiring

Well here is my DIY attempt at converting my wiring to OEM CSL after replacing my MSS54 with a Terra Modified MSS54HP. I have an OEM CSL Airbox with Flap and all OEM ducting etc..

Starting to untangle the mess LOL.....

2 Prong cnnector for Flap Motor...

The flap motor pins are blank in the DME connector....

The three prong connector is for the Flap potentiometer or position sensor....

The naked flap snorkal intake thingy.....Getting ready to re-install the flap and motor....

Make sure you use the wire positions on the connectors to tap/solder to the correct wires in the DME...

Bye Bye MAF connector....

Map sensor Connector. Wires numbered 1-3 left to right....

Map Connector Wire 1 goes to red green wire in the connector box (box which has a lot of ground wires in it next to the strut tower)....

Map connector Wire 2 goes to brown Orange wire from MAF Plug (seen here top right)....

Map Connector Wire 3 goes to empty slot in DME connector Slot #18 which is empty....

Borrowed Map Rail from my friends CSL while it undergoes a full engine rebuild....

Wiring Diagrams I used to do the wiring...

Another version of the wiring guide thanks to member mwstewart:

I will add descriptions to the wiring pics above showing what and where its going etc.... LOL. Sorry Guys it was very very hot and it was very difficult taking pics and doing the work at the same time.

Most of you are going to be focusing on the MAP wiring and i'll go and take proper pics of that for you gents today.Well here is my DIY attempt at converting my wiring to OEM CSL after replacing my MSS54 with a Terra Modified MSS54HP. I have an OEM CSL Airbox with Flap and all OEM ducting etc..

Starting to untangle the mess LOL.....

2 Prong cnnector for Flap Motor...

The flap motor pins are blank in the DME connector....

The three prong connector is for the Flap potentiometer or position sensor....

The naked flap snorkal intake thingy.....Getting ready to re-install the flap and motor....

Make sure you use the wire positions on the connectors to tap/solder to the correct wires in the DME...

Bye Bye MAF connector....

Map sensor Connector. Wires numbered 1-3 left to right....

Map Connector Wire 1 goes to red green wire in the connector box (box which has a lot of ground wires in it next to the strut tower)....

Map connector Wire 2 goes to brown Orange wire from MAF Plug (seen here top right)....

Map Connector Wire 3 goes to empty slot in DME connector Slot #18 which is empty....

Borrowed Map Rail from my friends CSL while it undergoes a full engine rebuild....

Wiring Diagrams I used to do the wiring...

Another version of the wiring guide thanks to member mwstewart:

I will add descriptions to the wiring pics above showing what and where its going etc.... LOL. Sorry Guys it was very very hot and it was very difficult taking pics and doing the work at the same time.

Most of you are going to be focusing on the MAP wiring and i'll go and take proper pics of that.

Here is some more info posted by my friend terra....

The part number is in M3Dragons list.....12517508831
    Awesome. Now I just need to hunt down the various boots.

I found the one for the flap position sensor

I found one that will work okay for the IAT and Actuator, but I'd prefer a 90-degree cap -- not able to hunt that down yet.

Also having trouble finding the covering cap for the MAP connector

Oh and just so we have it on one page, here are the connector part number:

Flap Position Sensor - 12521427222

IAT and Flap Actuator Connector - 12521427615

MAP Sensor Connector - 12527507526

Hey terra, would you happen to know the part #'s to the wiring connections for the 2 and 3 pole female connectors that connect to the flap. Here's what I've got:
    2 pole:

3 pole:

Now the problem is when I input those parts #'s into ECS I can only find 10pks of each that still match the part #. The individual flying leads (some pictured, some not) come up as different part #'s.

EDIT:Also, the 2 pole female connector is the same one would find on and IAT and I think the fuel injectors as well.
    The 3 pole female connecter is also found on the TPS.

There are different part number for the wiring connections because the 3 pole has wider spades on the male side of the connection that the 2 pole. Getting into the weeds here...hopefully someone can follow.

Last edited by Cubieman; 05-12-2020, 05:18 AM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

classic thread

Comment

Can anyone help with the part #'s or link to the parts? I need the 2/3 pole connector lead, whether crimped as a flying lead or just the connectors themselves I don't care. But the 2 and 3 pole definitely have different size connections.

Instagram

Comment

I’ll just post here rather than respond to your PM- but if you ordered the part numbers listed in the first post, they use the same contacts. If you got the 2-pin connector from a generic manufacturer or some other part number, then it might not.

Comment

Hey, For the IAT sensor pin 22 and 25 are currently used, do i just unplug those pins and put the 2 wires from the iat sensor in?

Comment

You may have to splice rather than de-pin/re-pin. However to my knowledge if running CSL software you de-pin 22/25 and re-pin your IAT.
              I am not sure what pins 22/25 run to, I would find that out first before de-pinning.
              I thought it was the MAF, but that does not look to be the case.

Instagram

Comment

I was running a alpha N tune before I decided to go with csl dme and map sensor, so my IAT was already wired. I wired it but cutting #1 on the maf and soldering it to the IAT wire. Then I spliced wire #3 on the maf with the other IAT wire
                Last edited by Jake.s54; 05-12-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I am still very confused on if I need to change that wiring for the csl dme. I did not cut the MAF off entirely, due to me maybe going back to stock eventually.

Comment

I would follow the wires and/or do a continuity test to confirm where pins 1 and 3 on the MAF terminate. You may find your already wired into 22/25
                    EDIT: I know this from my recent airbox install, x6003 pin 17 = MAF ground.

You could (likely) tap into ground anywhere you can find one on the connector block. Pin 16 is unoccupied and I used it for the ground on my MAP sensor, I also believe terra is currently using pin 16 for his IAT ground. However, another user, JBfrancis found that using pin 16 for his IAT ground caused erratic/incorrect readings to the DME, so be aware of that.
                    It HAS to matter where you get your power from through, and maybe ground as well for that matter. The IAT is simply ground/power, no signal wire, but it obviously has to communicate with the DME in some fashion. I wish I understood that better.
                    How does a sensor such as the IAT communicate with the DME without a signal wire? Resistance correct? I know the hot tubs we sell the temperature sensor is two wires and it just sends resistance values back to the circuit board where its interpreted.

But it must matter where at least on wire, or both plug into. Maybe it isn't as simple as ground is ground? Otherwise one could draw power/ground from the battery, I don't think that would work so well
                    Last edited by Cubieman; 05-12-2020, 06:23 PM.

Instagram

Comment

okay so I just tracked the wires down. Pin 22 wire (Yellow and blue) in the dme runs to pin 1 on the maf (the one I cut and soldering in one of the wires from the IAT). Pin 25 in the dme (brown) runs to pin 3 in the maf (the one I sliced into and soldered)

Comment

OK, so it sounds like your good to go with your IAT wiring the way it sits now.

Instagram

Comment

Hopefully, and I will test it through a app on my phone to double check everything. Just waiting on my USPS package with my DME and Map Sensor ughh

Comment

You'll be fine man, IAT is done already, just three more wires for your MAP, unless the flapper doodle is in the works for you.

Pin 1 on MAP connector
                            Goes to X6003 Pin 7 = Power
                            This spot will be occupied by a red/green wire, tap into or better yet, solder into wire. Not sure where this wire goes to.

​​​Pin 2 on MAP connector
                            Goes to x6003 Pin 17 = Ground
                            Pin 16 which is unoccupied worked for me, you could de-pin 17 so long as you are not using it for something which it doesn't sound like you are. Pin 17 provides ground to the MAF.
                            I used the Turner IAT relocation harness for my IAT wiring (cough, plug in) job so I kept pin 17 as is and used 16 for MAP ground.

Pin 3 on MAP connector
                            Goes to x6003 Pin 18 = Signal
                            This spot will will be unoccupied on the connector block

Just make sure you have your battery disconnected when messing with any of this, especially the DME.

Also, DON'T do a continuity check on the DME like I did with my multimeter!
                            I disconnected the battery, pressed the brake pedal in an effort to eliminate any potential remaining charge, wore gloves then I proceeded to introduce anywhere from 3-9volts straight into the DME with my Fluke via the continuity test. Just simply wasn't thinking. Quite glad it didn't smoke my newly bought DME.

Instagram

Comment

Sorry to revive this, but I bought the Turnermotorsport IAT relocation harness. I’m doing the CSL box, running a MAP, but can I still use this harness for the IAT, and not have to plug in the MAF portion?

Comment

Working...
                              X