Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapping front strut hats to get more camber - pros and cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Estoril, you are right there are many other ways to counter under steer. I was just trying to get all of the bigger projects out of the way while I have some down time over the holidays and thought this might be good to help mitigate the under steer. I am on Michelin 4S.

I know long term I would like to go to a dedicated full coil over setup, but frankly think I should spend my money this off season on other things (namely dedicated track tires and safety equipment), hence my research into relatively easy/cheap suspension mods that use the stock suspension (which I really like from a ride/handling standpoint) to the maximum extent. I also feel I need to get better as a driver first before dumping a bunch of money into the car, I have been down the mod-intensive path before with other cars so really like to maximize use of OE parts where I can. You may have seen my other posts about potentially using camber plates with a stock suspension.

After this discussion I may just stick to what I have and put the coil overs on the list for next year, unless someone has experimented with this in a stock suspension and thinks it’s worth it. It’s seems like something I can do at home fairly easy and go get another alignment.
    ‘04 M3

Comment

Honestly a proper track alignment should be your first mod before throwing parts at it.

Comment

Thanks - I’ve already done that. Also went to a square tire set up and the front sway bar. Next step was increasing front camber via plates/swapped hats/coil overs.
        ‘04 M3

Comment

I would not go after understeer with camber. I would optimize camber for tire wear/grip (pyrometer) and balance the FRC with springs and sways.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
            I have swapped stock hats attached to ohlins coilovers and I'm happy enough with the resultsClick image for larger version Name:	IMG_0923.jpg Views:	70 Size:	172.3 KB ID:	145459
            Whats the spec of the wheels? Looks like youre pretty stock height for ohlins, im trying to fit 9.5 + 22

Comment

Working...
            X