Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Karbonius make a plug and play CSL replica bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Karbonius make a plug and play CSL replica bumper?

This more of a wish than anything else. Having read the various stories of CSL replica bumpers on the E46 M3s, it feels like we need a better one.

What usually seems to be the problem are:
    1. Kevlar mount on newer cars
    2. Side mounting rails / points
    3. Wiper fluid tank location / size

Now, if there are other brands out there that mounts in place of the OEM bumper, I would love to hear about them. If not, could we get Karbonius to build one? Thoughts?
    2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
    ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
    Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Let me ask the magic 8-ball.

The majority of cars have the newer style reinforcement, not vice versa.

What are the issues with 2 and 3?
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
      Let me ask the magic 8-ball.

The majority of cars have the newer style reinforcement, not vice versa.

What are the issues with 2 and 3?
      #2: read people having to cut pieces from the old bumper and mount on the replica one to make it fit. Even then, the bumper may not look “right”

#3: not enough space for the tank we have when the bumper is mounted. Now, that may be the exception, but have heard of the stories with some.

Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
      SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2

Comment

Well anyone that wants a CSL front bumper, will need to get the aluminum support. Those aren't hard to find. Getting a different mount, will just add confusion.

Getting Karbonius to make one, will be great... however, it will probably be out if cf, which is not ideal... and EXPENSIVE. You want one out of ABS, to provide some flex before cracking. A cf Bumper will crack with a tap.

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post
          Well anyone that wants a CSL front bumper, will need to get the aluminum support. Those aren't hard to find. Getting a different mount, will just add confusion.

Getting Karbonius to make one, will be great... however, it will probably be out if cf, which is not ideal... and EXPENSIVE. You want one out of ABS, to provide some flex before cracking. A cf Bumper will crack with a tap.
          They do not do ABS injection molding. While cheap to manufacture per unit, the upfront investments of ABS are really high.

Karbonius would match the OEM carbon construction and probably try to improve a thing or two. They’re not making CSL diffusers for some reasons, I’m thinking it’s because of what follows.

The issue with making any 1:1 CSL replica parts, even more so in Europe, is BMW’s rapid trigger on infringement law suits.

There is a company out in Eastern Europe making affordable CF replicas, but they are unresponsive and seem content with their European business volume.

Alpha N has a CSL replica bumper in carbon fiber, but they are charging close to OEM CSL pricing.

Comment

Good points about the material. Probably not attached to CF as much as the 3 requirements around being more plug and play!

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

They do not do ABS injection molding. While cheap to manufacture per unit, the upfront investments of ABS are really high.

Karbonius would match the OEM carbon construction and probably try to improve a thing or two. They’re not making CSL diffusers for some reasons, I’m thinking it’s because of what follows.

The issue with making any 1:1 CSL replica parts, even more so in Europe, is BMW’s rapid trigger on infringement law suits.

There is a company out in Eastern Europe making affordable CF replicas, but they are unresponsive and seem content with their European business volume.

Alpha N has a CSL replica bumper in carbon fiber, but they are charging close to OEM CSL pricing.
              But the point is a cf bumper is probably the worst thing you can get. Bumpers get tapped on a daily basis. Thats a guarantee crack... there is zero flex.

And the costs will probably be oem high. Its a fairly complex piece (and big). I know karbonius only works with cf, so this is why I dont think they are good for this. Miles composites would be ideal

Comment

Carbon has plenty of flex, I’m unsure where the assumptions it doesn’t comes from - maybe they were FRP backed carbon? Mile End also exclusively works with pre preg carbon AFAIK.
                Last edited by Epoustouflant; 12-28-2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I hope they make one, as long as it is reasonably priced, I'd probably pick one up.
                  Instagram: M3Journal

Comment

Carbon has plenty of flex, I’m unsure where the assumptions it doesn’t comes from - maybe they were FRP backed carbon? Mile End also exclusively works with pre preg carbon AFAIK.
                    CF was optional (and about double the $$), and according to JC was about 2.5kg lighter than his std bumpers. I just went w/one of his std bumpers...when they were available.

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

CF was optional (and about double the $$), and according to JC was about 2.5kg lighter than his std bumpers. I just went w/one of his std bumpers...when they were available.
                      Do you still have his contact info? CF molds can be used for pre-preg fiberglass too.

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

What happened? Did he stop making them?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

He’s gone completely MIA.

Comment

Do you still have his contact info? CF molds can be used for pre-preg fiberglass too.
                            We communicated via PM's on IG during the process...super nice guy and answered all of my questions in a very timely manner. I've heard that he hasn't been making stuff for a while though, and that I believe it was originally due to the Covid...haven't communicated w/him in over a year, but I can try reaching out again if you ask nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Yeah, I've heard that he hasn't been making stuff for a while, and that it was covid that shut him down. It's a shame as his products were outstanding, and he was an awesome vendor/resource to the community.

Comment

Working...
                              X