Tire Pressure for 245/35/19 & 275/30/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Pressure for 245/35/19 & 275/30/19

What’s up guys! Just got these tire sizes mounted and checked the tire pressure afterwards and seemed pretty off.

30.5 front left
    37.5 front right
    33.3 rear right
    35.5 rear left

anyone know what I should be at if I’m just daily driving, and since we’re quarantined, what it should be at if my car is in the garage?

thanks!

I run those sizes at 32 psi cold.
    I'm surprised that the tpms isn't lit on your i/panel.
    edit ; sorry I run 18's
    Last edited by FBloggs; 04-21-2020, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IceInMyVeins14 View Post
      What’s up guys! Just got these tire sizes mounted and checked the tire pressure afterwards and seemed pretty off.

30.5 front left
      37.5 front right
      33.3 rear right
      35.5 rear left

anyone know what I should be at if I’m just daily driving, and since we’re quarantined, what it should be at if my car is in the garage?

thanks!
      Depends how much your cars weight and how much heat you put into them when you drive. I'd want to be 33-34 for a lighter e46 coupe, up to 36-37 for a heavier SMG vert with subs in the trunk.

Edit: I, too, meant 18s... no idea on 19s.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

19's need to run at a higher pressure compared to 18's. If your vehicle came with 19" option, the door jamb label will have pressures for the factory-optioned 19's. It'll be 41 psi front and 48 psi rear. I knock off a few psi from those but they are the starting point for me.

I have the same tire sizes as you in the Pilot Sport 4S's. I haven't played much with pressures nor know much about the underlying assumptions so I'd welcome additional comments.
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
          19's need to run at a higher pressure compared to 18's. If your vehicle came with 19" option, the door jamb label will have pressures for the factory-optioned 19's. It'll be 41 psi front and 48 psi rear. I knock off a few psi from those but they are the starting point for me.

I have the same tire sizes as you in the Pilot Sport 4S's. I haven't played much with pressures nor know much about the underlying assumptions so I'd welcome additional comments.
          What tire pressures you have on your door jam also depends on your model year. In 01-04 BMW gave "standard" tire pressures and "max capacity" (fully loaded car) tire pressures (higher). In 05+ they only gave max capacity tire pressures in the USA.

... yet another way lawyers have forced everyone to be treated like idiots in this country.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

What tire pressures you have on your door jam also depends on your model year. In 01-04 BMW gave "standard" tire pressures and "max capacity" (fully loaded car) tire pressures (higher). In 05+ they only gave max capacity tire pressures in the USA.

... yet another way lawyers have forced everyone to be treated like idiots in this country.
            I didn't realize they were quoting max capacity (on my '05), good to know.

Just to clarify: my comment around 19's needing higher pressure was limited to this vehicle; with a lower profile you need a higher pressure, all else equal. The wheel diameter itself has no influence on pressure need.
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

It also depends on the type of tire and it's construction. A tire with a stiffer sidewall,i.e. the RE-71R can be run at a much lower pressure than a tire with a softer sidewall so it's hard to provide tire pressure guidance for every tire. Experiment to find the wear and handling characteristics you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by IceInMyVeins14 View Post

30.5 front left
                37.5 front right
                33.3 rear right
                35.5 rear left

thanks!
                My ZCP 19s shows 33 psi front 38psi rear , I run 245/275 Michelin pilot 4s and they are more comfortable than my stock 18s with winter Michelins. Check pressure on the morning . Tires should be cold.
                Last edited by kermmmit7; 04-21-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

ZCP 19's I run 34f / 36r cold

Comment

Continental Extreme Contact Sports 245/275 19's

32 front
                    32 rear

The rears did not wear evenly (center wore noticeably faster that the edges) so I have dropped the rears to 30. We shall see.

Jesse
                    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally skeptical about the door jam pressures (higher in rear). After experiencing accelerated rear wear by running 35F, 32R, I decided to try the door jamb bias and, sure enough, rear tire wear was greatly improved. Current street pressures:

For stiffer sidewalls (e.g. RE-11 or 71R):
                      245/3519: 33
                      275/30/19: 38

For softer sidewalls (PS4, Indy 500)
                      Add 2-3 psi to the above.
                      2003.5 ///M3 Convertible

Comment

On staggared setups, the rear PSI should be higher because the profile is lower to match the front rolling circumference due to wider rear wheel. So that bias does make sense.

Jesse, seems like you should go the other way, higher in the rear given that the tire is 30 series as opposed to front 35 series.

Personally, on MPSS, I run low PSI (30), but I don't care about tire wear. MPSS also turn into bricks once above low 30s.

OP: Try something like 35 F 40 R
                        Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-23-2020, 01:17 PM.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I am running MPS4S and live in OC and adjusted my tire pressures to 33F and 38R, but maybe I’ll go that suggested route from crbws6 and Tbonem3 with 35F & 40R! Hope you guys are staying safe during quarantine 🤙🏽

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                            Max inflation pressure of a tire is around 50psi, which is also stamped on the sidewall of the tire. Hopefully you are not running 48 rear, that is very skiddy and oversteery, and dangerous because after some driving can get those pressures much higher, not even talking about tire wear or comfort and feeling every pothole.
                            Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Max inflation pressure of a tire is around 50psi, which is also stamped on the sidewall of the tire. Hopefully you are not running 48 rear, that is very skiddy and oversteery, and dangerous because after some driving can get those pressures much higher, not even talking about tire wear or comfort and feeling every pothole.
                              Yes max inflation of this tire is 50 psi and I think I've been running them at 45 psi. Which is too high and I'm grateful to the OP for asking the question. Knocking them down should take out some harshness. Incorrect, yes, but 45psi is not skiddy and oversteery.

The max inflation pressure is cold so the comment around higher pressures after driving is an improper comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X