No announcement yet.

Nightmare dealer situation (Updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sapote you're totally right, I didn't even consider the resistance vs temperature point.

Well then, I guess that wouldn't blow the fuse. Not sure what would, but I still don't think it's the DME blowing it on purpose.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

There was a SIB years ago, complaint was no start and the fuse was blown being caused by a faulty oil level sensor. When we would get the car we'd see the blown fuse, unplug the oil level sensor, replace the fuse and the car would start. I can't recall the SIB # though.

The engine will absolutely run with the low oil pressure light on... how else would it start in the first place? ***Edit, there is also NO alarm for low psi.

You are in a bad spot, sorry this has happened, it sounds like you have all the advice to make an informed decision and I can't add anything to it. Good luck.
      '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

SIB 12 33 06
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20220121_120528.jpg Views:	7 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	149362

There's another spot where it says it CAN cause a no crank situation with a fault stored in the EGS. This may the issue you have. These sensors go out all the time.
        Last edited by Arith2; 01-21-2022, 08:12 AM.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

A bad oil level sensor (short circuit) could blow the fuse but I don't think empty oil pan will blow it with ignition ON.
          George Hill had confirmed no alarm with red oil light. I read this from the M3 User Manual. Also, it says to switch off the engine (means DME or sensor doesn't do it automatically).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red oil light.PNG
Views:	458
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	149371

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
            SIB 12 33 06
            [URL=filedata/fetch?id=149362&d=1642784780][ATTACH=JSON]
            There's another spot where it says it CAN cause a no crank situation with a fault stored in the EGS. This may the issue you have. These sensors go out all the time.
            Sure, it was talking about defective sensor (bad with short circuit) and not empty oil pan.

Comment

which dealership did you go to?

Comment

So how did things turn out? Im hoping you still have the car

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post
                  So how did things turn out? Im hoping you still have the car
                  Sorry didn’t update this. I had them keep the car for a week so the service director could take the car home with him to put about 100 miles on it to see if anything came up while it was in their possession. Car is driving normal with no codes and no weird noises. Had them document everything and agreed that in 500-600 miles I will come back to get another oil change where I will be present and can take a oil sample where I will send it off to Blackstone for a reading. If it comes back abnormal we will have to talk about going into the motor for more info.

There isn’t much else I can do. I talked to a lawyer and he said since there isn’t any real visible damage I would have no case and he wouldn’t be able to represent me. Said if the motor had a issue after they messed up on the oil change that would be a different story and I would have a good case. Also called BMW North America and they said work with the dealership and because the car is running and driving there wasn't much they could offer. It just sucks for both sides and maybe there isn’t a problem however it will always be in the back of my mind that something is just waiting to happen. So I have been driving the car hard with many high RPM pulls for these next 500 miles. Its just hard here in IL with our garbage weather. I need to get out of this state!

Comment

Honestly Im glad you kept it and I think it will be fine. That sounds like a good plan in regards to the blackstone report. Get to that point, see what's up and then enjoy the car.

I hear ya on the weather. We just got 2 ft dumped on us here in NY, sucks big time. The wife and I discuss Florida daily lol

Comment

GreyM340i I think you went about that the right way. I’ve had my car shut off mid hard left turn, once in the 11 years I’ve owned it. I’m sure it was “normal” won’t ever happen again and no one is at fault. Nothing like yours but it makes a point that here is where you can be glad these are fairly stout cars. They take all sorts of abuse and keep ticking. You may end up with 1/2 off rod bearing work after the oil analysis. GL

maw

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post
                        Honestly Im glad you kept it and I think it will be fine. That sounds like a good plan in regards to the blackstone report. Get to that point, see what's up and then enjoy the car.

I hear ya on the weather. We just got 2 ft dumped on us here in NY, sucks big time. The wife and I discuss Florida daily lol
                        Yeah I agree! I saw you east coast guys get slammed this past week. Sucks! We are supposed to get some decent snow in the next few hours so we will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                          GreyM340i I think you went about that the right way. I’ve had my car shut off mid hard left turn, once in the 11 years I’ve owned it. I’m sure it was “normal” won’t ever happen again and no one is at fault. Nothing like yours but it makes a point that here is where you can be glad these are fairly stout cars. They take all sorts of abuse and keep ticking. You may end up with 1/2 off rod bearing work after the oil analysis. GL

maw
                          Yeah I think I will hit them up for a bearing job and maybe offer to pay for the parts if they do the labor. We will see what happens. Also just got a quote to get my 19” style 67 refinished at a local place. Was quoted $980 for everything might just do it and make them look perfect. Said they strip everything, spray the grey finish color that the inside parts have and then they get machine cut plus clear coat. Showed me a few BMW wheels they had sitting there with the same finish looked great.

Comment

I'm usually not an advocate of dealerships but if the car runs without an issue I don't really see why they should do anything. I bet you someone left a drain plug loose and oil slowly dripped out. If the engine ran dry, it would've locked up. Do a valve adjustment and show us pictures of the cams. Do rod bearings because you just bought the car and who knows how the previous owners drove it. Then, at that point, and of the first things to fail will be taken care of.

All engines make horrible noise with low oil pressure and BMW engines actually DO shut off with low oil pressure. I literally saw it happen yesterday. Whether it specifically applies to the S54 will require some research but it seems like it. The indy was just stirring up your emotions as competing shops typically do. This dealer sounds like it was a decent dealer because a lot of shops would've just filled it and told you screw off. Heck, the fact that they fixed the oil level says something.

Drive your car like nothing ever happened because if the engine does blow, you'll be getting a free one anyways. Enjoy the car and welcome to the community!
                            Last edited by Arith2; 02-01-2022, 04:18 PM.
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

GreyM340i Yeah I’ve heard that’s what’s gotta be done (complete strip, paint, polish, clearcoat) but when I was looking it was $400/corner. I was like, “yeah we’ll see.” I’ll show up during the next downturn. I tried to squeeze it in during Covid but other stuff I did to the car took longer than expected.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                                I'm usually not an advocate of dealerships but if the car runs without an issue I don't really see why they should do anything. I bet you someone left a drain plug loose and oil slowly dripped out. If the engine ran dry, it would've locked up. Do a valve adjustment and show us pictures of the cams. Do rod bearings because you just bought the car and who knows how the previous owners drove it. Then, at that point, and of the first things to fail will be taken care of.

All engines make horrible noise with low oil pressure and BMW engines actually DO shut off with low oil pressure. I literally saw it happen yesterday. Whether it specifically applies to the S54 will require some research but it seems like it. The indy was just stirring up your emotions as competing shops typically do. This dealer sounds like it was a decent dealer because a lot of shops would've just filled it and told you screw off. Heck, the fact that they fixed the oil level says something.

Drive your car like nothing ever happened because if the engine does blow, you'll be getting a free one anyways. Enjoy the car and welcome to the community!
                                The dealer admitted to not tightening the oil plug and thats why they have been pretty cool with the situation. I have receipts for the Valve adjustment along with many other things about 10.5-11k miles ago. As for rod bearings they were done at 35k and I do plan on getting that done in the next few thousand miles however if I can get them to help me out for the situation why not. If not I will take it to a local Indy for $2200 and get them done. Subframe is already set to get done in a few months after the weather gets a little better here.

Comment

Working...
                                X