Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotchkis Sport Swaybar Set Reviews?

Is anyone running these bars?

I've been considering upgrading from stock, but not sure if it would be worth the $500 for my weekend toy (Not often tracked but lots of spirited driving).

HOTCHKIS BAR SPECS
    FRONT - 1-3/16 in. (30mm) Tubular Front Bar 3 Way Adjustable. Rate Increase vs. Stock +11% +28% +49%.
    REAR — 1 in. (25mm) Tubular Rear Bar 2 Way Adjustable. Rate Increase vs. Stock +79% +105%.

CSL BAR SPECS
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7A494516-D35E-4DC6-ADAC-7DCC13C32CFF.jpeg
Views:	1354
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	15247

First, the peanut gallery (me 🤪) is going to chime in with some commentary, so here goes:

Stock Front Bar: 26 mm | CSL 30.8 mm Hollow | Hotchkis 30 mm Hollow
    Stock Rear Bar: 21.5 mm. | CSL 22.5 mm. | Hotchkis 25 mm

Basic suspension 101 - Bigger rear bar equals more oversteer, and thicker front bar equals more understeer.

My sled is fitted with CSL bars at both ends, and they are clamped in place with Power Flex poly sway bar bushes that does not give way to fingertip or thumbnail pressure, unlike the stock low density rubber bushes. For background, my sled is fitted with PSS10 coilovers, and the tires are Pirelli PZero PZ4s.

On fast sweepers (on ramps/off ramps), I can feel the rear wanting to step out so careful and even throttle is required. On street corners, there is a bit of understeer that promotes stability if a bit too much entry speed is carried in, but trail braking (my preferred method), or a judicious throttle pedal stab will easily bring the rear axle around.

The Hotchkis bar’s front thickness is .8mm less than a CSL bar; more importantly, the rear thickness is 2.5 mm greater. This means Hotchkis bars really want to make the car rotate, especially with 2.5 mm more meat on the rear bar. For me, I do not like tail happy handling sleds; it is way too spooky, and less forgiving of any red mist that one would introduce involuntarily into their driving. I like a smidge if understeer to keep the front end predictable/stable, while keeping the rear axle in check. Trail braking and throttle manipulation can be used to control the rear axle, in my opinion.

One of the good qualities of the Hotchkis bars are that they are adjustable, this allows you to tailor your car’s handling to your taste/preference. If you find it enjoyable to tinker and experiment with your ride, I think the Hotchkis bars fit the bill.

On a very basic suspension level though, those Hotchkis bars in my opinion have specs that strongly hint at dialing out any understeer, and increasing oversteer (just look at the added stiffening percentages of +70% and +105%). Whatever you do, I am confident that it will be the right choice for you. 🙃

Comment

I run their hollow front on medium, stock rear. Love it! Similar increase in spring rate to my previous TMS(H+R) and Eibachs, but like half the weight! Was cheaper than them too!
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Are they hollow or honeycomb?

anyway I run their front stiff and stock rear according to FCM sheet and my springs. I like it.

Comment

Hollow. From memory, the rears aren't or maybe that's csl; hollow front, solid rear.

Comment

I use their front on medium and no rear bar. Granted I'm a little under 3000lbs wet, but I couldn't find a combination using FCM's sheet which would demand a rear as aggressive as the Hotchkis bar (stock rear, sure.)

If you do get a Hotchkis rear bar and you buy used, make sure it comes with the spacers for the bushings/brackets which mount to the rear subframe. Some of the early kits didn't ship with them, and they're needed to prevent contact with the suspension on even moderately (13") lowered cars. I inherited some bars with my first M3 purchase and ended up having to make a pair:

Name:	20170928_153249.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	15303

Name:	20170928_235125.jpg
Views:	1274
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	15302

Comment

I have a set of these sway bars and have run them on my E46 M3, then swapped them over to my Z4MC. I ran the rears on soft and front on medium in both cars.

Comment

Yh I run the front only on medium... really helped reduce body roll and helped 'point' steering into a corner. I wouldn't bother with the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Monkey View Post
                  First, the peanut gallery (me 🤪) is going to chime in with some commentary, so here goes:

Stock Front Bar: 26 mm | CSL 30.8 mm Hollow | Hotchkis 30 mm Hollow
                  Stock Rear Bar: 21.5 mm. | CSL 22.5 mm. | Hotchkis 25 mm

Basic suspension 101 - Bigger rear bar equals more oversteer, and thicker front bar equals more understeer.
                  This is a great comparison. I was looking at grabbing the front Hotchkis bar for my own car but couldn't find a ton of info on the sale ads or the googles. Thanks for compiling it!
                  2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

It should be noted that the outer diameter of bars is only part of the equation of torsional spring rate. The tube wall thickness and material shear modulus play a role. These probably don’t vary tremendously from one manufacturer to the next but from Turners description of their bars: “These bars are crafted from a special spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than competitive sway bars

Comment

I had a set some years ago and was pretty happy with them FWIW
                      IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
                      A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
                      Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                      Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
                      Touring S62 6MT
                      Alpine White / Black E90 M3 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
                        It should be noted that the outer diameter of bars is only part of the equation of torsional spring rate. The tube wall thickness and material shear modulus play a role. These probably don’t vary tremendously from one manufacturer to the next but from Turners description of their bars: “These bars are crafted from a special spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than competitive sway bars
                        Wall thickness is an input on the fcm spreadsheet 👍🏻

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

anyone tried the whiteline 30mm front sway? i wonder whats the big difference between the hotchkis, h&r and whiteline?

Comment

Weight

Comment

that being said, is there a "best" one out of the three? Whiteline is definitely way cheaper than the two. I will pick hotchkis over H&R. so between Hotchkis and whiteline?

Comment

Working...
                              X