Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch Fan Delete Help, Car starts getting hot in drive throughs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

It couldn’t be anything less like that.

Really easy to get it to work right and run well but needs simple DIY tuning of literally one map in the DME. Hope you don’t run anything but the stock BMW engine tune with that logic.
    I did something intentionally worse and am now complaining about how the car runs. Similar analogy.

Really easy to get wrong also and your logic is flawed. Exhaust, intake and other mods make the engine run more efficiently not purposefully hotter than the cooling system is able to keep the engine cooled as intended.

I don't see anything like this making sense on anything other than a dedicated track car, you guys are playing Russian roulette but hey thankfully it's not my car. I will enjoy reading these threads again as summer approaches.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

I did something intentionally worse and am now complaining about how the car runs. Similar analogy.

Really easy to get wrong also and your logic is flawed. Exhaust, intake and other mods make the engine run more efficiently not purposefully hotter than the cooling system is able to keep the engine cooled as intended.

I don't see anything like this making sense on anything other than a dedicated track car, you guys are playing Russian roulette but hey thankfully it's not my car. I will enjoy reading these threads again as summer approaches.
      It keeps up just fine including cooling the car down while parked after thrashing it for 20 minute track sessions *shrug* but ok. I had it on all last summer on a 16 year old cooling system so no enjoyment for you. There was one day when half my local group with stock fan setups was complaining about having to turn off their AC while idling while mine behaved just fine.

I do use the high pressure / high flow thicker Spal fan on the brackets that keep it within a couple mm from the rad fins.
      Last edited by repoman89; 02-08-2022, 06:27 PM.

Comment

It keeps up just fine including cooling the car down while parked after thrashing it for 20 minute track sessions *shrug* but ok. I had it on all last summer on a 16 year old cooling system so no enjoyment for you. There was one day when half my local group with stock fan setups was complaining about having to turn off their AC while idling while mine behaved just fine.

I do use the high pressure / high flow thicker Spal fan on the brackets that keep it within a couple mm from the rad fins.
        I didn't mean to get you worked up. No enjoyment for me?

Does OP have the same spec/model fan as you? Why did the other half of your group not complain about cooling issues? Some real information about that track day would be far more useful than meaningless anecdotes.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Which fan setup and controller did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Which fan setup and controller did you use?
            Deleted stock fans, SPAL 2082 puller on the N15 aluminum brackets wired to the stock aux controller salvaged from my aux fan. Aux fan curve in the DME pushed to the left such that it’s 100% by 85C (iirc .. I can find this and post back).

You want the 2082 vs the 2049. The former has much better airflow numbers at higher static pressures (e.g. when mounted trying to force air through a radiator). It fits even though it’s thicker mounted to the driver side of the rad. Could be the difference between having problems or not I suppose since people don’t usually say, along with modifying the DME curve appropriately.

Comment

Deleted stock fans, SPAL 2082 puller on the N15 aluminum brackets wired to the stock aux controller salvaged from my aux fan. Aux fan curve in the DME pushed to the left such that it’s 100% by 85C (iirc .. I can find this and post back).

You want the 2082 vs the 2049. The former has much better airflow numbers at higher static pressures (e.g. when mounted trying to force air through a radiator). It fits even though it’s thicker mounted to the driver side of the rad. Could be the difference between having problems or not I suppose since people don’t usually say, along with modifying the DME curve appropriately.
              Thanks for the info. I’ll keep it in mind for when my clutch fan goes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                I ran without a fan for a year in LA heat and traffic without a problem,
                This will cause the AUX fan to be working at high duty cycle (running more often), and it will have a shorter life.

Comment

Also Using a SPAL 2070 fan mounted on N15 brackets With Derale PWM Fan Controller , no issues. Going to be switching over to a PDM soon so that's going to control the fan. The Derale is super nice with a stick on sensor so no need to figure out a temp sensor or use the aux fan controller.

Comment

Originally posted by PHNX636 View Post
                    Also Using a SPAL 2070 fan mounted on N15 brackets With Derale PWM Fan Controller , no issues. Going to be switching over to a PDM soon so that's going to control the fan. The Derale is super nice with a stick on sensor so no need to figure out a temp sensor or use the aux fan controller.
                    Thats great! Can you please post pics? It sounds like the way i would go as well in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This will cause the AUX fan to be working at high duty cycle (running more often), and it will have a shorter life.
                      You're not wrong, but it runs all the time anyway since I always have AC on. All the new cars use electric fans and they seems to last just fine, no reason to think this fan is any different.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

You're not wrong, but it runs all the time anyway since I always have AC on. All the new cars use electric fans and they seems to last just fine, no reason to think this fan is any different.
                        Anyone know if the stock AUX fan has a brushless DC motor or brushed motor? From the way the the fan stops with some cogging in the motion, I think it is brushless.

Comment

I would be very surprised if it was brushless given how old the part is.

Comment

I'm running the mishimoto electric fan off the stock aux fan controller. Both clutch fan & aux fan deleted.

Sitting stationary in hot weather (~35c+) the temp creeps up. Upon moving, temps drop straight away.

I haven't modified the aux fan curve; something I need to do asap.

What software are people using to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                              Sitting stationary in hot weather (~35c+) the temp creeps up. Upon moving, temps drop straight away.

I haven't modified the aux fan curve; something I need to do asap.
                              I would think with the temp gauge creeping up then fan already at max speed (90% PWM), then how does a modified fan curve help?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Thats great! Can you please post pics? It sounds like the way i would go as well in the summer.
                                I cant post pictures since the car is taken apart right now for the engine build but when i get a chance ill take some pics of the parts and wiring separately and explain how I did it.

Comment

Working...
                                X