E46 M3 Instrument Cluster/Metric-Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Instrument Cluster/Metric-Standard

I have a 2002 M3 convertible with SMG and just over 100k miles. Seems like I am in that sweet spot where I fix 1 think and 2 things break. I have an OBD II reader, very basic. I also have INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4. I just solved a Key/Immobilizer situation and now my Instrument Cluster has died. Well, everything except the lower right hand items; I believe there is an Air Bag light and such. However, also, and not sure if it is related or not, Climate Control has gone Metric. I can get it to switch to Standard, but it will always return to Metric. I connected INPA to review the Instrument Cluster and it can't find it. I can send Instrument Cluster out for service, but concerned that there might be something else because of Metric issue. Don't want to send Instrument Cluster if true problem is in a module. Your opinions are appreciated.

Do your tachometers work? Have you attempted to perform a cluster reset sweep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0uUKtOqys). Check your fuses etc. The cluster in my 2001 ended up needing to be completely replaced due to corrosion on the board, I had to source a Motomoter unit and sent it to a capable cluster shop to have all of the information swapped over without any issues. Goodluck.

Comment

Tach, speedo, gas, oil pressure, tranny status none of it works. Even blinker sound on turn signals and hazards. Just the lights in lower right hand corner of the cluster. I will try the cluster reset sweep.

Comment

Yeah, based on the video, that area of instrument cluster dead too. Wouldn't be able to conduct this test, wouldn't know which test I was running. The overhead view of the vehicle does not appear either.

Comment

Pull your cluster fuses and see if they are all good. Replace if necessary. Try turning ignition on with fuses pulled a few times. Id also suggest pulling the cluster out and leaving it in a dry place (maybe even in rice) for a bit to see if that does anything. I had all kinds of intermittent cluster issues, some of the above things would work temporarily and then it would die again. A new cluster was what solved it all.
          Last edited by RoyalFlushness; 02-16-2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Yes tried the fuses also, forgot to mention. 10, 34 and 43. Oddly, I pulled the cluster out today and now, with the cluster out of the vehicle, the climate control is responding to the change to Standard from Metric. Well that's a plus. I could try the rice, but no reason to believe moisture got in there recently. I reached out to a cluster repair shop. $199 to repair E46 clusters. I sent them a message, hoping that includes the M3 cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by flgman1966 View Post
              Thanks. Yes tried the fuses also, forgot to mention. 10, 34 and 43. Oddly, I pulled the cluster out today and now, with the cluster out of the vehicle, the climate control is responding to the change to Standard from Metric. Well that's a plus. I could try the rice, but no reason to believe moisture got in there recently. I reached out to a cluster repair shop. $199 to repair E46 clusters. I sent them a message, hoping that includes the M3 cluster.
              You'll need to replace or repair it. I drove mine without working anything a few months but eventually it died. Basically, the MOSFET craps out and destroys everything. If your power supply to the cluster is gone, the A/C clutch will not engage. I replaced the cluster and while I was coding it, the EWS has pooped out too. Remember, your cluster it the Gateway to all communications in the car. If it stops completely, nothing works. When I pushed my car in and scanned it, all the module were not communicating simply because the cluster had gone. BMW sent a cluster that has the cruise control like stuck on and my high beam light does come on. After $1100 I'm pretty annoyed. There is a 2 year parts warranty thankfully. You can get you cluster repaired and hope nothing else is damaged. Until that happens, I wouldn't put power to the cluster. In your shoes, I would replace it and I did. If, for some reason, you have the ability to code and program a cluster, make sure it's in metric until programmed otherwise your miles will get messed up.
              Last edited by Arith2; 02-16-2022, 05:40 PM.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I can't just leave things alone. Tinker tinker, YouTube, tinker tinker. So one of the other problems that I have is that I can't set the clock. Turns out the molded tabs on the attached plate are broken, see circled area. I have to imagine that the only way to get this plate is through a donor cluster. Since it's broken and a donor will likely do the same in sorry order, I am curious if anyone knows if "new" are available?

Comment

Someone sells them on ebay. IIRC, it's a 3d printed replacement.

Edit: I think this is it https://www.ebay.com/itm/174414757236

Haven't bought one myself, so can't speak to the quality. But I've seen others have good luck with them
                  Last edited by heinzboehmer; 02-17-2022, 07:11 AM.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by flgman1966 View Post
                    I can't just leave things alone. Tinker tinker, YouTube, tinker tinker. So one of the other problems that I have is that I can't set the clock. Turns out the molded tabs on the attached plate are broken, see circled area. I have to imagine that the only way to get this plate is through a donor cluster. Since it's broken and a donor will likely do the same in sorry order, I am curious if anyone knows if "new" are available?
                    I ordered mine through my parts department. There were like 10 available in Jacksonville FL alone.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

he does gm5 & cluster repairs as well. shoot him an email... ive used him on multiple occasions. in my past its been a specific ship that goes bad, killing the cluster
                      Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 02-17-2022, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your input!! I appreciate it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X