Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Oil Leak in the front passenger side of engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WoGGo View Post

I assume this the line we're talking about 11367837614 ?

When replacing the vanos line, I imagine you need to drop the engine oil?... and anything else you need to do?
    Yep!

I got the Bimmerworld stainless steel one though

Comment

Originally posted by michaeljchn View Post
      Hey guys im dealing with a severe oil leak in the passenger side front on my M3.

I attached some photos. I suspected the tensioner but i have a new crush ring installed on it and torqued down when i did my vanos/chain guide service.

The leak is covering the whole front passenger side... VANOS oil canister is wet (the bottom of it at least), my steering rack boot on the passenger side, a Click image for larger version

Name:	20220223_180158_001.jpg
Views:	2022
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	155527 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220223_180311.jpg
Views:	2657
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	155528 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220223_180228.jpg
Views:	2010
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	155529 nd behind the harmonic balancer is wet as well.

​​​​​​The driver side of the engine is relatively dry.

Could it be an oil filter housing gasket leak? Vanos oil line cracked? The valve cover gasket isnt leaking from the top so im ruling that out.
      Did you find any oil on the bottom of your AC pump? If so I'd say vanos gasket

Comment

One idea...have you ever shredded a drive belt? If so check the front main seal.

I would clean the area up, put dye in the oil, drive it and then use a UV flashlight to find the leak

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          One idea...have you ever shredded a drive belt? If so check the front main seal.

I would clean the area up, put dye in the oil, drive it and then use a UV flashlight to find the leak
          Wouldn't the die just be everywhere the oil went so no further to find the leak than just oil everywhere, but now dye too?

Comment

Originally posted by Arinb12 View Post

Wouldn't the die just be everywhere the oil went so no further to find the leak than just oil everywhere, but now dye too?
            It's easier to pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

Comment

Update: Cleaned the oil up. Installed new vanos line. But the leak persists. It appears to be dripping from above but I have a new tensioner crush washer installed as well as the vanos gasket from a recent vanos job i did. So Im at a loss.

Note - this picture was taken right after installing the new vanos line w/ maybe 40 miles on it. If i keep driving, the entire front of the oil pan would be wet with oil.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak 2.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	158487

Click image for larger version  Name:	Leak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.3 KB ID:	158486

Comment

Dude, that sucks... I too have an oil leak I've tried everything possible to fix with the exception of the rear main seal which I where I think it's coming from. Not exactly an easy repair...

Comment

I had a similar leak, which I originally thought was the vanos oil line. But after I pulled off the vanos solenoid pack, I saw that the freeze plug on the cylinder head was missing.

When I was on the freeway, my car developed a massive oil leak. Oil is everywhere on the front passenger side of the engine. Oil is all over the bottom side of the headers, frame rail, undertray, steering rack, suspension, and the front right wheel well. Prior to this, my car did not have any real leaks. I recently changed
                  2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                  1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                  IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

I know you changed the vanos gasket but it might still be leaking from the lower left bolt area. I’ve had to use sealant around that bolt hole before. Took oil dye and inspection mirror to find it.

Comment

Is there any indication that this might be a front main seal?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                        I know you changed the vanos gasket but it might still be leaking from the lower left bolt area. I’ve had to use sealant around that bolt hole before. Took oil dye and inspection mirror to find it.
                        I just went out to look at the area you specified and I do see some seepage...interesting development.

Where did you add sealant? Gasket then to the head? Or on the vanos unit to the gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by michaeljchn View Post

I just went out to look at the area you specified and I do see some seepage...interesting development.

Where did you add sealant? Gasket then to the head? Or on the vanos unit to the gasket?
                          I added a *thin* layer of toyota FIPG to the head side bottom left bolt area. This is not a bead and squish style scenario. You’re basically filling a gap between the vanos gasket and the head.

Also scrubbed both surfaces with red scotchbrite to ensure good mating surface. Careful with any abrasive that’s harder than aluminum. Red sb is the hardest thing i would use.

Be very careful torquing those bolts as the threads in the head strip easily. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I added a *thin* layer of toyota FIPG to the head side bottom left bolt area. This is not a bead and squish style scenario. You’re basically filling a gap between the vanos gasket and the head.

Also scrubbed both surfaces with red scotchbrite to ensure good mating surface. Careful with any abrasive that’s harder than aluminum. Red sb is the hardest thing i would use.

Be very careful torquing those bolts as the threads in the head strip easily. Ask me how I know.
                            Got it - ill definitely try that. thinking back on my vanos job, i didnt really clean that mating surface that well. I assume (just like the VCG) any oil or grime there would prevent it from sealing properly?

Comment

The pictures look like a normal BMW. This is normal operation. I've seen 3 year old cars under warranty with worse leaks.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X