Torque wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque wrench

Getting about time to change out spark plugs.
    recommendation for decent torque wrench for the 22 ftlbs required without breaking the bank.
    preferably click style.
    TIA....
    2004 M3 Mystic Blue

The CDI wrenches are good for the money. If you don't have something good in the 100 ft.lbs and down range then this would fit the bill: https://www.protorquetools.com/cdi-3...ch-dual-scale/

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
      The CDI wrenches are good for the money. If you don't have something good in the 100 ft.lbs and down range then this would fit the bill: https://www.protorquetools.com/cdi-3...ch-dual-scale/
      +1 for CDI

Comment

Ditto CDI. They manufacture Snap-On torque wrenches. My CDI, actually owned by Snap-On, is identical, except for the label, as my friend's Snap-On for about 1/2 the price.

Feff
        MVP Track Time

Comment

Definitely agree with CDI- haven't gotten one yet myself, but that's the one to get.

Comment

Another recommendation for the CDI.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

CDI is good. Precision is good. For this application, Tekton is probably adequate.

FWIW, the torque guide here on the forum says 17ft-lb +/- 2.2ft lb (204in-lb +/- 26.4in-lb, 23N-m +/- 3N-m) for spark plugs (with dry threads). You want to have the torque value near the middle of the wrench's range, and definitely not in the bottom 20% of the range. This is kind of in between a lot of common 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrench ranges. Something that goes to 250 or 300in-lb should work.
              2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

I have a proto click style myself.

For the sake of transparency, tekton doesn't actually manufacture tools so it's in the same company as the big box wrenches I wouldn't personally spend money on.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Okay guys I see CDI seems to be the preferred wrench. When working to the very bottom end of the range of a torque wrench roughly 20 pounds for the plugs, is this wrench accurate at that torque.
                  Not too anxious to strip out head.
                  2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3 View Post
                    Okay guys I see CDI seems to be the preferred wrench. When working to the very bottom end of the range of a torque wrench roughly 20 pounds for the plugs, is this wrench accurate at that torque.
                    Not too anxious to strip out head.
                    Which one? CDI makes dozens of torque wrenches.

If you're set on CDI solely for use on S54 spark plugs, 2502MRMH would be the one.
                    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

The wrench I linked to is rated from 10 - 100 ft.lbs. Accuracy is +/- 3% from 20% to 100% of full scale, so 20 ft.lbs. is the bottom of its accurate range. Fine for plugs at 22 ft.lbs.

Last edited by D-O; 02-25-2022, 10:23 AM.
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

The wrench I linked to is rated from 10 - 100 ft.lbs. Accuracy is +/- 3% from 20% to 100% of full scale, so 20 ft.lbs. is the bottom of its accurate range. Fine for plugs at 22 ft.lbs.
                        Torque wrenches are least accurate at the low and high ends of their range.

Comment

For this application, Tekton is probably adequate.
                          That's how I went, can't beat price and has good reviews: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-torque-wrench/
                          Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

Which one? CDI makes dozens of torque wrenches.

If you're set on CDI solely for use on S54 spark plugs, 2502MRMH would be the one.
                            I own the following and have never needed a different model:

1501MRMH - 1/4
                            1002MFRMH - 3/8
                            2503MFRMH - 1/2

Comment

I have used Snap On, CDI, and Precision Instruments click-type torque wrenches.

They are all equally accurate across the full scale.

I prefer the Precision Instruments because it doesn't require holding down the lock ring when adjusting like the CDI.

Split Beam torque wrenches are even easier to use, but less precise. Good for higher torque stuff like suspension parts and lug nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X