CMP SF bushing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMP SF bushing question

I installed a CMP (front) bushing and can't help but notice it sinks down into the subframe and does not protrude at all.

Is this normal and does the "washer" on the front subframe mounting bolts make up for this gap?

Edit: Talked to CMP and all is well, made me oh so nervous..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220301_225325.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	156577
    Last edited by Cubieman; 03-01-2022, 08:08 PM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

-oh - see you got it sorted

IIRC the stud has a thick standoff that the bushing will rest on. If you have a vincebar you would have a very thick washer instead.

Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Just for completeness, that's CMP's new design. The older bushings were taller and had a recess for the hex flange thing on the front subframe studs.

Random pic from the internet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_23105.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	156633

New versions use less material and are lighter, but do the same job.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

What's the reason for eliminating the recess?
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          What's the reason for eliminating the recess?
          I talked to Cayne at CMP last night and they found that all the load on the front bushings was located on the washer found on the front subframe bolts.
          On the most current version they eliminated what they felt to be unnecessary material and also shedding 15% of the weight.

I assume that recess acted as a "cup" for the subframe bolt washer, but the washer must have still protruded from the bushing I would think as he said all the load was on the washer..?
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I talked to Cayne at CMP last night and they found that all the load on the front bushings was located on the washer found on the front subframe bolts.
            On the most current version they eliminated what they felt to be unnecessary material and also shedding 15% of the weight.

I assume that recess acted as a "cup" for the subframe bolt washer, but the washer must have still protruded from the bushing I would think as he said all the load was on the washer..?
            Translation, it was an inferior design otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. I always thought it a bit dubious how these were different than most of the others on the market.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Translation, it was an inferior design otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. I always thought it a bit dubious how these were different than most of the others on the market.
              It's not dubious. It raises the subframe to account for the added racp plated added in to most ppl's cars to provide correct roll center.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

It's not dubious. It raises the subframe to account for the added racp plated added in to most ppl's cars to provide correct roll center.
                I was referring to the fact the milled portion changed, not the raising aspect.

Comment

You know how many times Karb has revised their airbox?
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    You know how many times Karb has revised their airbox?
                    Yep and that's why the latest is the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X