Sound Comparison: E46 M3 CSL vs McLaren F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Comparison: E46 M3 CSL vs McLaren F1

On the late night YouTube marathon, I came across two separate videos of an M3 CSL and McLaren F1 being driven on some Swiss Alps.

And damn, they sound very similar. I've heard the S50 is closer to the S70/2 in terms of actual components, but an S54 with a carbon airbox probably sounds the most like that motor.

Just thought I'd share! I thought it was cool.

Last edited by shibui; 03-03-2022, 04:18 AM.

That's pretty remarkable. In some respects, I like the S54 better. Could be the audio I'm the recordings, but that CSL holds its own!
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

The S50 borrowed heavily from the S70/2 as the F1 engine design came first. The Carbon Airbox intake noise makes the S54 sound more similar because the F1 intake is also composite and directly over the driver's head, while the S50 did not have a composite airbox as the E46 CSL did. Highly recommend the Gordon Murray interview on the Collecting Cars Podcast (hosted by Chris Harris), where he gets into a lot of the background on the F1. Also some tasty bits about the old turbo Formula 1 engine based on an M10 block that was left out in the rain. đŸ¤£
      2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

I always tell people this and they laugh me off, but it's true. Very similar sounding engine notes and induction noise.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

That 1st clip is my new background work music.

Comment

All of these engines had the same father.

The Biggest of Dawgs Big Paul.
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

S70 is basically two S50B32s mated in a V config with a carbon plenum. Since S54 is essentially an S50B32 when you had the carbon airbox it is "close" to half the motor with a similar induction note.
              2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

That’s great, now I just have to decide Karbonius or Haimus.. thanks for sharing!

Comment

Man every time I hear the comparison I can't believe how close it sounds. I know people think it's silly to compare the two, but there's definitely a shared heritage there.

Comment

Gotta love n/a engines!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheElite///M3 View Post
                      That’s great, now I just have to decide Karbonius or Haimus.. thanks for sharing!
                      Karbonius every single time.
                      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                        S70 is basically two S50B32s mated in a V config with a carbon plenum. Since S54 is essentially an S50B32 when you had the carbon airbox it is "close" to half the motor with a similar induction note.
                        To nit pick, it's the Euro S50B30 cylinder head (single intake VANOS) that was developed from the S70. The B32 is dual VANOS and the unit looks different.

Comment

A friend/owner had me listen to back-to-back recordings of CSL airbox versus F1 airbox, which was simply awesome as I had no idea. That’s pretty much what sold me on going for the Karbonius box for my car.
                          E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Working...
                          X