Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil analisis - few questions

Hey guys
    ive got a report from oil analisys and unfortunatly i doesnt have good news for me
    Oil is 10w60 changed 2kmiles during rod bearing job
    and now ive got info there is high levels of wather and cooland (glikol) in the oil, but i have mesured the compresion and was 13bar on all cylinders.
    is it possible that head gasket failed in a way that is leaking the coolant to the oil ( from what i know they mostly fail between the cylinders)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Opera Zrzut ekranu_2022-03-03_160657_DIFF%20olej%20silnikowy%20z%20eksploatacji%20DIFF%201-2-22%20L0376%20-%202-03-2022.pdf.png
Views:	263
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	156820
    Attached Files

I would try searching on m3cuttters.co.uk. I think the Euro cars have many more HG failures. I've really only read about failures here that were between cyl and where it could be detected with a leak down test.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

My car is imported from US, anyways it has 100k miles now so im thinking headgasket should be on the way out anyways

Comment

That's a wild guess.

Comment

"it has 100k miles now so im thinking headgasket should be on the way out anyways"

I have not read that MILEAGE was a key factor in headgasket failure, more issues of cooling, and neglect.

There are a lot of cars here with way above 100K.

But I am mostly filled with wild guesses when it comes to working on cars

Comment

Originally posted by cbean View Post
            "it has 100k miles now so im thinking headgasket should be on the way out anyways"

I have not read that MILEAGE was a key factor in headgasket failure, more issues of cooling, and neglect.

There are a lot of cars here with way above 100K.

But I am mostly filled with wild guesses when it comes to working on cars
            was thinking that after watching all that head gasket failure threads, at this point i have vanos out, intake out, as im working on cosmetic stuff.
            At this moment im thinking of replacing it, becosue the cost wont be so high (i need to buy gaskets for the head, manifolds, head studs ) head to the machine shop for leak testing and evaluation. labor is out of equasion as it will be DIY

Comment

ok did the job today
              gasket seams to be ok, blok is ok no cracks in the cylinder walls, some carbon buildup on the pistons
              only think i felt that some of the bolts felt looser on the head, and few was dry, rest of he was soaked in oil
              going tomorow to the machine shop for testing and rebuild the head

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220304_151327.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	156993 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220304_153409.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	156994 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220304_151419.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	156995 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220304_153502.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	156996

Comment

it does not see bad TBH, like you say, maybe a loose bolt. head skim and clean with new gasket and bolts should be all you need. Is ARP bolts a good upgrade here for better clamping force retention over time?

Comment

I want to understand why euro cars supposedly have higher head gasket failures.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Terra proposed that it's the difference in petrol. I never saw a different/better explanation.

Comment

Europe isn't some second world country though admittedly I don't know the quality of theirs versus ours. Perhaps more aggressive timing curves or some such factor as well who knows.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Different octane levels will affect timing. Perhaps more heat in combustion. IDK.

Not Europe, we're the 3rd world country.

Comment

Could it be tuning related as well? Cats aren't in the headers, so maybe euro cars run leaner (and thus hotter). I'm not sure if I'm just trying to look for something that isn't there, but I swear that every time I see a driving video with a view of the dash on a euro car, the oil temp is much closer to 12o clock than on US cars.

Anyone who's messed with tuning these cars should be able to answer that one quite easily. I don't know enough about tuning to go poking around in the euro and US tunes to try and figure this out, but maybe one of the usual tuners can chime in.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                            it does not see bad TBH, like you say, maybe a loose bolt. head skim and clean with new gasket and bolts should be all you need. Is ARP bolts a good upgrade here for better clamping force retention over time?
                            yeah if the head is ok, then i will order to change valve seals, and clean up everything with valve reseating
                            does the arp torque sekuence is diferent then oem bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              Not Europe, we're the 3rd world country.
                              Interesting fact, the term third world country came during a time of Communism vs. Capitalism. If your country wasn't a Communist or Capitalist society you were considered a "third world country". Ridiculous if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                              X