Michelin tire alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geee428 View Post
    As some of you may know Michelin is experiencing heavy back orders. They also discontinued a plethora of different sizes. This effects the e46 M3 for those who run 265/30/19 and 275/30/19.

The only tire which would be available is Pilot sport 4S but there’s a 4-6 week back order. The rep from michelin direct told me that it may go longer as the Michelin Pilot sport 5s are coming out but won’t be available in 275/30/19 and 265/30/19.

I have BBS LM on order and they’re scheduled to arrive at the very beginning of April.

I was thinking continental dws 06 plus all season. They’re priced right and I can run them for this season until Michelin is back up on their feet orderwise.

Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
    You can wait almost a month for wheels, but can't wait a few more weeks for tires? What sizes are your wheels?

SportContact 7 isn't available in the US yet, so that's out.
    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

I think Conti ExtremeContact Sport are a good alt to Michelins. Another less expensive alt that I don't think has been mentioned yet are the General G-Max RS (unfortunately not available in 265/30/19 tho).
      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

PS91

Comment

I just got a set of 265-35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for $1003.62 installed.
          Waiting for them to come in now was told they have a few sets in the warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekpoint View Post
            I just got a set of 265-35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for $1003.62 installed.
            Waiting for them to come in now was told they have a few sets in the warehouse.
            Wow that's cheap, where from?

Comment

General G Max RS is the best DD tire you can buy for the money. I use them on the M3 and 335d and have nothing but praise for their grip, responsiveness, braking and wet traction. Firehawk Indy 500 are really good too, but be aware they are 1-2 lbs heavier per tire than Gmax RS.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I would recommended against the Continental DWS all-season from personal experience.

I bought a set for my M3 'vert which for me is a nice day car and not one I drive too hard or track - but I have still been very disappointed in these tires. My primary complaint is they howl and lose traction under even moderate cornering - you cannot have fun in the car without attracting unwanted attention.

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                They’re fine for everything except str8 hooning. I’ve used them for years. They perform to 85% of the max performance summer tires from Conti and Michelin, and better in the wet + quieter as they age. So here again, unless you’re driving the car at the limits
                I'm sorry to say but it's posts like these I just don't understand unless a) we have wildly different driving styles or b) tire rack shipped me four bad tires
                Last edited by bmw; 03-10-2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

Wow that's cheap, where from?
                  A midwest store called "Blains Farm and Fleet. 212.99 a tire, $8 for a supply fee, $79.96 for installation + balance, and $12 for tire disposal. $51.70 tax. Saved nearly $300
                  Last edited by Rekpoint; 03-10-2022, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Ps5s better come in LM sizes or Ima be 😡
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by bmw View Post
                      I would recommended against the Continental DWS all-season from personal experience.

I bought a set for my M3 'vert which for me is a nice day car and not one I drive too hard or track - but I have still been very disappointed in these tires. My primary complaint is they howl and lose traction under even moderate cornering - you cannot have fun in the car without attracting unwanted attention.

I'm sorry to say but it's posts like these I just don't understand unless a) we have wildly different driving styles or b) tire rack shipped me four bad tires
                      No, I just don’t care about the attention. Of course she breaks them loose. But that’s all my cars and all the tires. Who shivsagit? The slide is controlled and the warmer the tire the less the slide. The Conti summers that came on the car stock were a hair stickier but loud, brittle and harsh after 15k miles. You might be a new owner but here’s a newsflash for you… “This Car Causes Tires To Squeal”… turn off the nanny controls and explore launch mode (SMG) and she will squeal all the way through 4th… in a straight line… turns? Fugghetaboutit…

YMMV, but try warming up the tires first.

maw
                      Last edited by maw1124; 03-10-2022, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

No, I just don’t care about the attention. Of course she breaks them loose. But that’s all my cars and all the tires. Who shivsagit? The slide is controlled and the warmer the tire the less the slide. The Conti summers that came on the car stock were a hair stickier but loud, brittle and harsh after 15k miles. You might be a new owner but here’s a newsflash for you… “This Car Causes Tires To Squeal”… turn off the nanny controls and explore launch mode (SMG) and she will squeal all the way through 4th… in a straight line… turns? Fugghetaboutit…

YMMV, but try warming up the tires first.

maw
                        I'm by no means an expert in this group but I've had five E46 M3s (two purchased via ED, so that dates me), so I'm not a "new owner". On those cars I've had a variety of tires, from the original Conti M3s, Michelin Pilot Sports, PS2s, PSSes, and recently PS4s, along with the sole set of Conti DWS all-seasons I put on my current 'vert. The only tires from that bunch that I strongly regret purchasing are the Continentals. I am not talking about driving at the limit, or on the track, I am talking about normal, everyday driving situations on the street where you drive for a bit of fun. It's these situations where DWSes howl like cheap economy tires with minimal provocation. There is tire squeal and controlled break-away, and then there is beat up SUV pulling into a parking lot on Chinese tires squeal - and this is the latter. To say these tires deliver 85% of good summer tires is disingenuous, I would say 25% at best. It was forum (M3forum thread several years ago) recommendations like yours that pushed me to buy the DWSes in the first place, and it's the first, last and only time I'll take forum advice on tires.

I hope that clears it up a bit.
                        Last edited by bmw; 03-11-2022, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw View Post

I'm by no means an expert in this group but I've had five E46 M3s (two purchased via ED, so that dates me), so I'm not a "new owner". On those cars I've had a variety of tires, from the original Conti M3s, Michelin Pilot Sports, PS2s, PSSes, and recently PS4s, along with the sole set of Conti DWS all-seasons I put on my current 'vert. The only tires from that bunch that I strongly regret purchasing are the Continentals. I am not talking about driving at the limit, or on the track, I am talking about normal, everyday driving situations on the street where you drive for a bit of fun. It's these situations where DWSes howl like cheap economy tires with minimal provocation. There is tire squeal and controlled break-away, and then there is beat up SUV pulling into a parking lot on Chinese tires squeal - and this is the latter. To say these tires deliver 85% of good summer tires is disingenuous, I would say 25% at best. It was forum (M3forum thread several years ago) recommendations like yours that pushed me to buy the DWSes in the first place, and it's the first, last and only time I'll take forum advice on tires.

I hope that clears it up a bit.
                          I had a similar experience with the Firestone Indy 500s. People swear by them but I found them incredibly disappointing. I think they had less grip than the AS3+ they replaced.

Comment

When on sale, the Continental ExtremeContact Sport is very hard to beat for a premium tire that has PSS levels of grip and comfort. It is more than enough tire for the street and some light HPDE events.

The DWS is more for the average daily that sees cold temps and heavy rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                              When on sale, the Continental ExtremeContact Sport is very hard to beat for a premium tire that has PSS levels of grip and comfort. It is more than enough tire for the street and some light HPDE events.

The DWS is more for … cold temps and heavy rain.
                              OP, this is what it probably comes down to. If you can stick with Summer tires then do so. If not, DWS 06. In both cases, Conti is probably your best alternative to Michelin.

maw

Comment

Interesting discussion. Probably going 235/265 next set of tires. OP, good on you for getting new LMs, gorgeous wheels.
                                Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Working...
                                X