Rear armrest disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear armrest disassembly

Looking for any tips on disassembling the rear armrest so I can replace the middle most plastic trim piece and cannot find any great DIY's. Feels like I'm going to break something so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Spoke to soon...found 2 more screws hidden by the rear insulation allowing the removal of the armrest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220306_225820.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	157476
    Last edited by Cubieman; 03-06-2022, 08:11 PM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Once you remove the armrest from the door panel, there should be a bunch of tabs that you can see from inside the armrest. If it is anything like the front armrest, the difficulty is that the tabs go in different directions, so you need to release them one by one while using a pry tool separate the bottom from the top.

Comment

If you are talking about separating the black underside from the top painted section, it is a huge ball ache. Have to pull like a MF and be super gentle with the tabs. Not the kind of thing you can do endlessly as eventually the tabs will just break. As slideways said there are tabs that go in opposite directions and not all of them are visable from the open side of the arm rest. Just have to take your time and be gentle but also the opposite of gentle. When I was refinishing mine I just bought a back up set of armrests incase all the tabs got wrecked pulling them apart.

Comment

I see what you guys mean, wow what a pain.

I may just dremel off the tabs I can get to I don't break the lower most plastic piece. I would like to save these carbon wrapped pieces so I can re-paint and keep as spares, these are not inexpensive parts unfortunately.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
          I see what you guys mean, wow what a pain.

I may just dremel off the tabs I can get to I don't break the lower most plastic piece. I would like to save these carbon wrapped pieces so I can re-paint and keep as spares, these are not inexpensive parts unfortunately.
          It is but it is doable, I wouldn't go cutting anything. You can get them from any coupe at a scrap yard for close to nothing. That's what I did and used the ones from the scrap car to repaint incase I ruined/broke them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a.jpg.309663bad6a24fde1df157e540f8f632.jpg Views:	0 Size:	299.0 KB ID:	157484

Comment

Side note if you're looking for a good paint match for the factory titanshadow finish, GM8573 seems to be a near perfect match. Attached is a photo of my repainted handles next to a brand new dash trim piece from BMW.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_141552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	157487 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_141600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	157488

Comment

Working...
            X