Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on followers

Hi guys
    Would apreaciate a opinion on followers condition, thay are from my car witch is 100k miles now
    More ore less every one looks like this, intake cam is ok, on the exhaust im beggining to see some scoring witch i left at a machine shop to polish out
    they are not flatten-no ticking sound. but im in a pickle what to do next. I have shimmed the car 2 years ago in thet time there was no scoring, and from that time ive made maybe 5k miles.
    oil pressure was tested this winter after replacing rod bearings and a oil pump piston, and the pressure is on the higher side of the norm

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155323.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	159098 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155339.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	159099 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220111_143150.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	159100 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155331.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	159101 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155327.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	159102 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155313.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	159103 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155241.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	159104 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220314_155316.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	159105 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220111_142930.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	159106

Option 1 (safe bet): Buy new/upgrade cams and replace followers with DLC followers

Option 2: Polish cams and followers and perform a surface treatment such as WPC on both items. Mark followers to install back in the same location. Swapping new cams and followers later on is not impossible with the engine still in the car.

Option 3: If engine is not coming apart, run till a follower goes flat. Even with some light marks on the cam lobes, some engines have gone another 50k+ before replacement. Playskool1's LSB track car went 200k+ before a follower went flat.

Comment

I wonder why you're getting scoring. My engine at 100k shows no such wear.

Either way they don't look bad, certainly nothing catastrophic. I bet you could do another 100k on those parts.

Comment

You’re going to pay either now or later.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

thanks for the input guys
          about why i dont know exactly, ive got a oil analisys done and it said that from the last oil change, it ha some wather/coolant in the system and its more likly like 10w50 now
          thats why i have took the head off and and replacicng the head gasket
          i think i will put this set back on, becosce the coating will cost 1/4 of the new followers, and make few more frequent oil changes with the analysis to check how everything is going on
          and with time will gather some fund for schrick cams and followers

Comment

It's quite a lot of work to remove them...
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              It's quite a lot of work to remove them...
              I know, just did this. Not impossible nor difficult though, just labour intensive. I'd rather do it now though when the head is already off..

Regards

Comment

I have a flat follower. Should have been able to figure this out sooner but it’s an issue I hadn’t encountered before. One valve was way out of spec (more than 0.2mm), and I have a tapping sound coming from that part of the head. Tore things down today and sure enough that one is done.

I ordered a set of the e90 320is followers and the 288/280 Schrick cams. It looks totally doable to remove/install followers with the engine in the car; I pulled the front end off this afternoon and it took me about an hour, I’ll pull the airbox and start disassembly of the top end probably sometime next week.

While this is an upgrade I was planning to do eventually, I am a bit disappointed that this money is going into the engine rather than a set of seats.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks similar to the wear I noticed on my last valve adjustment at 135k: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...-camshaft-wear. For the $3k+ for new cams/followers I'd just send it as-is and save up for a head rebuild. Personally I added a dimple magnetic drain plug to mitigate any possible accelerated wear and put the valve cover back on and plan to check the condition at the end of each season.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
                    I have a flat follower. Should have been able to figure this out sooner but it’s an issue I hadn’t encountered before. One valve was way out of spec (more than 0.2mm), and I have a tapping sound coming from that part of the head. Tore things down today and sure enough that one is done.

I ordered a set of the e90 320is followers and the 288/280 Schrick cams. It looks totally doable to remove/install followers with the engine in the car; I pulled the front end off this afternoon and it took me about an hour, I’ll pull the airbox and start disassembly of the top end probably sometime next week.

While this is an upgrade I was planning to do eventually, I am a bit disappointed that this money is going into the engine rather than a set of seats.
                    Yikes! I wonder what causes this wear all of a sudden. Usually a hardening issue shows up early in an engine's life so ...

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post

I'm SUPER curious about these E90 320is followers, they're nearly half the cost of S54 ones. Please keep us posted how this works out! Out of curiosity where did you source them from (assuming they are 11337549034)?

Comment

Originally posted by pynacl View Post

I'm SUPER curious about these E90 320is followers, they're nearly half the cost of S54 ones. Please keep us posted how this works out! Out of curiosity where did you source them from (assuming they are 11337549034)?
                        Those are the ones. People had good things to say about them in the 288/280 vs 270/272 thread (but they were a lot less conclusive on that part).

I ordered them from emiauto.eu, cost was about $55 per follower after exchange rate and shipping. Will update when I get them in.

Comment

They were made in the Landshut Formula One factory and specifically designed for high rpms. I think they'll do just fine.
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

i wonder why we dont see any aftermarket followers yet, so many companies offer a support for our cars
                            even the schrick ore catcams versions are just the 320si ones

Comment

Does anyone have a source on the 320is followers (11337549034) that is in stock? Schmiedmann still shows it as OOS but allowing backorders. The price has increased on them but still less than Schrick followers.
                              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Working...
                              X