Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Front Bumper Ducting

Hello all,

The time is near when I finally install my CSL Bumper from MileEnd I've been sitting on for a few years.

I was curious if anyone here has done and replicated the factory CSL bumper ductwork. I actually have all of the parts minus the flexible hose part #13717896774.

The parts I do have:

"Intake Tube" - 1617833648
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...617833648~geb/

Air Intake Hose - 11617833646
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...617833646~oee/

BMW Suction Tube - 11617833645

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...617833645~oee/

It's pretty unclear exactly how these parts are configured and snaked through the front ducting area and was looking to get some help to make sure I'm not missing anything I haven't thought of.

Can anyone offer any insight or possibly have some photographs of it in detail? I plan on replacing the flexible ducting with brake ducting potentially, but I'm not really sure.
    Last edited by BMWahba; 04-01-2022, 04:42 AM.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

I had a photograph (I think from cslregister) from the perspective of the backside of the bumper with the bumper off the car and it is was quite clear how it all came together, I'll keep looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220401-090600_Office Mobile.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	161366
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      I had a photograph (I think from cslregister) from the perspective of the backside of the bumper with the bumper off the car and it is was quite clear how it all came together, I'll keep looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220401-090600_Office Mobile.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	161366
      That's an interesting diagram there. Thanks for sharing. That one does indicate where the 3 pieces I do have go, but what's alluding me is what the flexible hose does and how it fits into all of that. It's not even shown in this photo. Seems it likely feeds that lower air hole on the bottom side where it joins with the intake pipe #3.

Would love to see that photo you mention!

Current:

Comment

m3dragon has the complete ducting on the CSL clone build:

https://e46m3.bimmerpost.com/forums/...=715028&page=7
        Last edited by Slideways; 04-01-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I'll keep looking but browse this entire thread:

For a long time I have been looking at and dreaming of the CSL Intake sound and performance gains of Alpha-N. After modding so many BMWs and doing FI on them for my friends I realized more and more that i wanted to go down the road of NA power! Well the owner of a ESS SC M3 CSL is a good friend...

Instagram

Comment

Those diagrams are from the CSL aftersales training document. I've attached it here. Pages 25-30 describe the intake system.

The bendy duct just acts as a muffler. It's not entirely necessary to have, as its only purpose is to muffle intake noise at low rpm. The other parts are more important, as they funnel cold air to the intake.

This thread also has some good pics showing how the ducting goes: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...5610#post15610
            Attached Files
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              Those diagrams are from the CSL aftersales training document. I've attached it here. Pages 25-30 describe the intake system.

The bendy duct just acts as a muffler. It's not entirely necessary to have, as its only purpose is to muffle intake noise at low rpm. The other parts are more important, as they funnel cold air to the intake.

This thread also has some good pics showing how the ducting goes: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...5610#post15610
              Ha, that was my thread and 0-60's photo I was searching for.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Really interesting. Kind of strange how that flexible hose just kind of hangs there. The narrow portion just tucking into the bumper by the hole. So safe to say I can kind of skip that....

Current:

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
                  Really interesting. Kind of strange how that flexible hose just kind of hangs there. The narrow portion just tucking into the bumper by the hole. So safe to say I can kind of skip that....
                  Yep, doesn't really serve a purpose besides muffling
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I reached out to some OEM CSL owners a while back to figure out the same thing. Here is what I found.

A few things to note. You will need hold drilled near the bumper intake holder to mount the plastic end of the foam noise suppression hose. Miles End did t drill these holes if I recall correctly, or even have a place to mount that piece. I tried to work with Mike End pre-pandemic to get this designed but I don’t think his product was ever updated.

Also, mounting studs on the frame didn’t come standard with US M3s. Some welded them on, others have drilled through the entire bumper mount to get a bolt through.

Last, you will need to cut away a section of the sliver metal mount that holds the diaper so you can route one of the tubes through. There is a CSL specific part number for this but if I recall it was a bit pricey.

Hope these pictures help.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Working...
                    X