CHF leak on driver's side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHF leak on driver's side

I think I already know the answer, but I thought I would confirm... had what I thought was an oil leak on the left side, but that didn't quite add up since I'd expect oil leaks on the right side. The dried oil was also sticky, which Google told me was CHF. It looks like it's coming from the SMG pump(?), and I just wanted to confirm as I've never familiarized myself with the SMG system. Pic is attached.

I also checked the SMG reservoir for the first time ever, and there was barely any fluid in there. Topped it up, but I think it's manual swap time.

Does my train of thought make sense to everyone? Any suggestions for what else it could be?
    Attached Files
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Could be and seems logical with respect to the leak but as always hard to be precise without getting a good look. Did you check the reservoir with the engine cold? There is a seal around the plastic reservoir that is directly attached to the pump (not the fill reservoir), solenoid O-rings, two O-rings in the hole where the fill reservoir hose attaches to the pump, temp sensor O-rings, pressure sensor O-rings, and accumulator O-rings.

If you don't want to refresh the O-rings then the swap might be your answer.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Often times the smg fluid reservoir is removed for other service but not reinstalled correctly.

If its is leaking from the reservoir. I think manual swap is an extreme reaction to needing an o ring.

If its leaking from the pump itself and a new pump is required then manual swap might be prudent if that is the path you have wanted to take with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
        Could be and seems logical with respect to the leak but as always hard to be precise without getting a good look. Did you check the reservoir with the engine cold? There is a seal around the plastic reservoir that is directly attached to the pump (not the fill reservoir), solenoid O-rings, two O-rings in the hole where the fill reservoir hose attaches to the pump, temp sensor O-rings, pressure sensor O-rings, and accumulator O-rings.

If you don't want to refresh the O-rings then the swap might be your answer.
        I checked the reservoir while the engine was off, but I had been driving it for a while. Since I topped it off with fresh CHF, I feel like the transmission has been a bit more consistent with shifts. But that could all be in my head.

It's been slowly leaking for a while as far as I can tell. Makes it hard to pinpoint a leak, but I can clean it up and try to pinpoint it.

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
        Often times the smg fluid reservoir is removed for other service but not reinstalled correctly.

If its is leaking from the reservoir. I think manual swap is an extreme reaction to needing an o ring.

If its leaking from the pump itself and a new pump is required then manual swap might be prudent if that is the path you have wanted to take with the car.
        I was always going to swap the car, I was just waiting for the SMG to give me a reason. The reservoir hasn't been removed, possibly ever. I'll try narrowing down where it's leaking from, but I wouldn't be upset about swapping it.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I put together this DIY a few years ago on the old M3f, however since summer is here and I see a few "SMG help" threads, I figured I would put together the SMG pump rebuild guide. Some images may be out of order. As for parts, you will want to purchase a universal Viton O-Ring kit. I went to harbor freight and used

This will save you $1500 for the swap. You CSL converted or tuned?
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
          X