SMG Pump Rebuild DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: SMG Pump Rebuild DIY

I put together this DIY a few years ago on the old M3f, however since summer is here and I see a few "SMG help" threads, I figured I would put together the SMG pump rebuild guide. Some images may be out of order.

As for parts, you will want to purchase a universal Viton O-Ring kit. I went to harbor freight and used this kit.

The gearshaft seals you can find on Ebay for around $60.

Start by removing your accumulator.

(MUST BE RELUBRICATED UPON REASSEMBLY USING SACHS CLUTCH SPLINE HIGH PERFORMANCE GREASE)

Last edited by Good; 09-09-2021, 09:45 AM.

Great stuff thanks!

Comment

This is amazing! Thank you!

Comment

Perfect timing.
        I was thinking of rebuilding the spare. You sure have helped this along. Appreciate you (and your time) for doing this.

Comment

Great, now we can consolidate all the smg problem threads into this one lmao.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Terrific write up! Thank you.
            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
              Great, now we can consolidate all the smg problem threads into this one lmao.
              Yeah, I will say it was pretty funny to come back to the forum after being inactive and on the first official day of summer to find the top 3 or 4 bumped threads to be SMG help classics haha.

Comment

I don't mind helping people out though. On the old forum when I ran into problems all I received was crickets (and my questions were specific and well laid out). That was when I realized most owners and forum members didn't know jack shit about SMG or weren't willing to help. In fairness the SMG system is tough to grasp at first glance due to requiring INPA (or DIS) and then within INPA there is a lot of information around the system. Coupled with the amount of misinformation that exists from old boards/users. Plus only so many of us have done the relocation and without relocation it is so much more time consuming to work on.

Also there are a lot of components that make up the system but none are all that tough to grasp once you dig in.
                1. Accumulator
                2. Motor
                3. Pump
                4. Reservoir
                5. Actuator
                6. GPS
                7. Clutch slave
                8. Hydraulic fluid
                9. DME
                10. Solenoids
                11. Sensors
                To me the pain point on the SMG system is the situation of GPS vs compression spring vs actuator failures. There is not a simple way to diagnose what is at fault or to test those without yanking stuff out. If someone knows a way chime in.
                Last edited by oceansize; 06-23-2021, 10:00 AM.
                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Thanks for the write up.

Comment

I’ve been looking for this since I saw it on the old forum, thank you,

Comment

All right, just finished this project with the help of this post. Big thanks again to Good.
                      Couple observations.
                      The viton O-ring set I ordered had different sizes than I needed for the solenoids. Ended up just buying the solenoid kit off eBay.
                      The internal hydraulic pump on the spare pump only the middle piece had engraving on it. The outers were smooth. If yours is the same, maybe you want to pre-mark it. Hopefully I put together right. I studied these pictures hard.

Finally a question. The electric motor came with a packet of super lube. I assume this is for the coupler between the motor and pump? I could not find the pentosin grease that was recommended. I do have a bit of moly grease for my bikes diff. That should take the heat i am thinking.
                      Again, thanks for the pictures and words on this for the rest of us. I'll edit once I see if it works!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerSax View Post
                        All right, just finished this project with the help of this post. Big thanks again to Good.
                        Couple observations.
                        The viton O-ring set I ordered had different sizes than I needed for the solenoids. Ended up just buying the solenoid kit off eBay.
                        The internal hydraulic pump on the spare pump only the middle piece had engraving on it. The outers were smooth. If yours is the same, maybe you want to pre-mark it. Hopefully I put together right. I studied these pictures hard.

Finally a question. The electric motor came with a packet of super lube. I assume this is for the coupler between the motor and pump? I could not find the pentosin grease that was recommended. I do have a bit of moly grease for my bikes diff. That should take the heat i am thinking.
                        Again, thanks for the pictures and words on this for the rest of us. I'll edit once I see if it works!

The grease you want to use is Sach's Clutch Spline Grease. You can find this below:

You will want to put enough to lube up that coupler piece while still allowing the motor to have little resistance.

Comment

When I bought my SMG M3, it came with a spare pump assembly. Short of installing it, is there a way to determine its 'health"?

Comment

Originally posted by snaponbob View Post
                            When I bought my SMG M3, it came with a spare pump assembly. Short of installing it, is there a way to determine its 'health"?
                            Outside of checking the sensors with a ohm meter and supplying voltage to the pump motor the answer is no. The real health check is how well the pump builds and maintains pressure and unless you have a fairly complex bench tester setup then you must attach to the car to check.
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by snaponbob View Post
                              Have you done the relocation to the drug bin? If not would recommend as it makes changing pumps really easy.

You could take the electric motor off to visually inspect the windings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X