Trouble Greasing Turner Mono-Ball FCABs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Greasing Turner Mono-Ball FCABs

Hey guys, I'm having issues greasing up my Turner Mono-ball FCABs.

The ball valve seems to be working fine, I just can't seem to get the correct angle to get a good seal to force the grease in. I'm currenlty using a ~4" needle/flush fitting on the grease gun & not the ~5" schwaben that ecs/turner sells.

Any tips? ....Has anyone changed out the flush fitting for something else? Maybe remove the flush ball valve and thread a small bolt?

I really enjoy these fcabs, and I really want to grease them up, as it's been a while.
    Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 04-07-2022, 08:10 PM.

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
    Hey guys, I'm having issues greasing up my Turner Mono-ball FCABs.

The ball valve seems to be working fine, I just can't seem to get the correct angle to get a good seal to force the grease in. I'm currenlty using a ~4" needle/flush fitting on the grease gun & not the ~5" schwaben that ecs/turner sells.

Any tips? ....Has anyone changed out the flush fitting for something else? Maybe remove the flush ball valve and thread a small bolt?

I really enjoy these fcabs, and I really want to grease them up, as it's been a while.
    I also had issues with these not greasing correctly and binding. Turner could not help and I ended up going back to stock.

The issue i had was that Turner markets these as sealed bearings but when you grease them the grease goes past the seal. Defeats the point imo.

This is the tip I used to grease them:

Lincoln 5803 Grease Needle Nozzle with Hardened Steel Tip for Lubrication of Flush-Type or Hard-to-Reach Hydraulic-Type Fittings, Connects to Any Hand-Held Grease Gun; 1/8 Inch NPT (f) Thread Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR6XE...30RYW0152BJP5B

Comment

I also had a pretty bad experience with these bushings, used the recommended grease and still has them bind constantly. Even after I had them RMAd twice, the replacements still would bind. Eventually traded them out for turner poly but I'm thinking of going back to stock.
      2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
      Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

Somewhat on topic but would binding be characterized by clunking and creaking from the monoball FCABs? I just had the Turner Monoball FCABs installed (only driven less than 10 miles on them, car needs an alignment as I did a bunch of rear suspension stuff after), but I hear and feel alot of clunking just going over bumps like leaving my garage, and alot of creaking when driving at low speed... honestly kind of embarrassing when I was driving through a busy parking lot. So wondering if there is an issue with my FCABs or the install. Also steering wheel noticeably shudders but I was waiting till after the alignment before commenting on that.

I asked my indy who installed the FCABs what grease he used and he confirmed it was a grease with moly, and that they did grease them before installing. Just wondering if the extra clunking and creaking is expected with these Turner monoball FCABs or I got a bad set? Or should I attempt adding more grease with the proper recommended CV-2 grease w/ moly? I dont mind some extra noise IF thats normal with these, as my cars not a daily driver, but I just dont know. Reading reviews after my install, seems some people had bad experiences with them and then there's others who absolutely love them...
        Last edited by BigRussia; 04-09-2022, 06:36 AM.
        2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
        Instagram
        Youtube

Comment

It says in the Turner description: "Stock rubber front control arm bushings are designed to allow significant fore/aft movement of the front wheels to help absorb road impacts."

The shock moves up and down. By using monoballs you no longer have flex fore-aft. You're going to get harshness and forces transmitted directly into the chassis.

The word "clunking" tells me there is play/slop which is not normal.

For grease, I am a big fan of this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/SEPTLS4287081.../dp/B003J9ESES It is a calcium sulfonate grease with moly. Cross compatible with other greases, smooth, tacky, high heat, high pressure, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
            Somewhat on topic but would binding be characterized by clunking and creaking from the monoball FCABs? I just had the Turner Monoball FCABs installed (only driven less than 10 miles on them, car needs an alignment as I did a bunch of rear suspension stuff after), but I hear and feel alot of clunking just going over bumps like leaving my garage, and alot of creaking when driving at low speed... honestly kind of embarrassing when I was driving through a busy parking lot. So wondering if there is an issue with my FCABs or the install. Also steering wheel noticeably shudders but I was waiting till after the alignment before commenting on that.

I asked my indy who installed the FCABs what grease he used and he confirmed it was a grease with moly, and that they did grease them before installing. Just wondering if the extra clunking and creaking is expected with these Turner monoball FCABs or I got a bad set? Or should I attempt adding more grease with the proper recommended CV-2 grease w/ moly? I dont mind some extra noise IF thats normal with these, as my cars not a daily driver, but I just dont know. Reading reviews after my install, seems some people had bad experiences with them and then there's others who absolutely love them...
            I would recommend trying to regrease them after driving on them. Maybe by driving on it you’ve opened up some of the grease channels that may have been clogged from the factory?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post

I actually had a similar situation happen when i first installed them as well. At that time I installed both control arms and the mono-balls. I always thought it was the ball joints on the control arms breaking in, but now I'm realizing they were the mono-balls. They sound exactly how you are describing. Lots of noise on bumps, even small ones. Eitherway- after about 100 miles or so the sound went away. I don't have any issues now.

Maybe, that is also the binding the above posters are also having?

...and on that note, i really do enjoy these fcabs. I think there is more NHV, but it isn't bad unless you drive on shit streets all day (I also probably have a high than normal tolerance for nhv.) I have daily driven these for multiple years.
              Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 04-09-2022, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and info, ok I'm going to wait till I’ve put some miles on them after I get my alignment this week, and see if the creaks/clunking/steering shudder improve or go away all together. Ill give them about 100 miles and will post an update. Maybe the track day this coming weekend will speed up their ‘break-in’ as well!

And if not, then yeah maybe it is a binding issue or even faulty units from Turner
                2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                Instagram
                Youtube

Comment

Have they been greased before? If they're full inside and the seals are making good contact than there's too much resistance to allow more grease in.
                  '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                    Have they been greased before? If they're full inside and the seals are making good contact than there's too much resistance to allow more grease in.
                    They have been greased before.

Aren't they made to just push the old grease out of the seal once you force in new grease?

Comment

Working...
                    X