Full CSL firmware, CSL intake, tamper dots and state emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full CSL firmware, CSL intake, tamper dots and state emissions

Getting ready to install a Karbonius CSL intake. My car is a 2003 with a MSS54 DME, so about a year ago I purchased a MSS54HP DME with the full CSL code plus my VIN on it. My questions are mainly around swapping DMEs.
    1. Will the CSL DME trigger a tamper dot? If so, is it able to be corrected? Pretty sure this is 'yes' but I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of coding yet... (have the software, just haven't mustered up the courage)
    2. I've gotten mixed signals about NC state emissions computers being able to read the CSL firmware. Anyone in NC have guidance here? I suspect I will likely need to swap back to stock DME (+intake) to pass.
    3. Is there anything else I should be aware of when swapping DMEs?
    I've done a lot of searching and while aspects of this are covered elsewhere, I haven't found answers to all of my questions. Or, I haven't added it all up yet. As thegenius46m posted in the CA Smog thread, swapping the DME and reverting to stock intake is an approach that should work. With that approach, I'm wondering what else I need to be aware of if I go down the road of swapping DMEs.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Unfortunately I don't have much value to add but thought I'd at least share that I'm in Wake County (Raleigh) and they don't require emissions to be included with annual inspections once the car is 20 years old. While this doesn't help you now, if it becomes a problem and your county has the same law then in 8 months you don't need to worry about any emissions issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
      Unfortunately I don't have much value to add but thought I'd at least share that I'm in Wake County (Raleigh) and they don't require emissions to be included with annual inspections once the car is 20 years old. While this doesn't help you now, if it becomes a problem and your county has the same law then in 8 months you don't need to worry about any emissions issues.
      No, that helps. I found this:

It looks like the whole state is 20+ years. I could have sworn it was 25 years as I looked sometime last year at this.

I wonder if they calculate age by model year or build date? My car is a Sept 2002 build and if that's the case, the car is 20+ by the time I go to inspect it. I'm nearly positive it's by model year, however.

I'll still need to figure out the DME & tamper dot thing when I swap to the CSL MSS54HP DME, but I may potentially not need to swap back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
        Will the CSL DME trigger a tamper dot? If so, is it able to be corrected? Pretty sure this is 'yes' but I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of coding yet... (have the software, just haven't mustered up the courage)
        Don't pin me on this, but iirc the tamper dot only shows when there is an LCM/IKE mismatch (vin/milage).

E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Correct, the dot is triggered by milage mismatch which is not stored in the DME. Not an issue when swapping DMEs.

How often do you have to go to inspection in NC? In NY it is every year and I swapped DMEs for a couple years like your plan above. It was a huge hassle to get codes to clear, do a full drive cycle etc... I eventually switched to a custom Alpha-N tune that passes and I never have to mess with it.

Comment

No, that helps. I found this:

It looks like the whole state is 20+ years. I could have sworn it was 25 years as I looked sometime last year at this.

I wonder if they calculate age by model year or build date? My car is a Sept 2002 build and if that's the case, the car is 20+ by the time I go to inspect it. I'm nearly positive it's by model year, however.

I'll still need to figure out the DME & tamper dot thing when I swap to the CSL MSS54HP DME, but I may potentially not need to swap back to stock.
            I'm not sure if they determine the age, or 20 year mark, by build date or calendar year but if I had to guess it would be calendar year. Do you have a shop that does your inspections you can ask?

Comment

Pretty sure it’s by model year not build date. I may be remembering incorrectly but at the time that went into effect my 328i was already 20 years old by build date but wasn’t applicable to be emissions exempt until the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                Pretty sure it’s by model year not build date. I may be remembering incorrectly but at the time that went into effect my 328i was already 20 years old by build date but wasn’t applicable to be emissions exempt until the following year.
                Got it. So I've got 1 more year, basically. Appreciate it!

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                Correct, the dot is triggered by milage mismatch which is not stored in the DME. Not an issue when swapping DMEs.

How often do you have to go to inspection in NC? In NY it is every year and I swapped DMEs for a couple years like your plan above. It was a huge hassle to get codes to clear, do a full drive cycle etc... I eventually switched to a custom Alpha-N tune that passes and I never have to mess with it.
                This is helpful - didn't realize the DME did not impact the tamper dot. Great to know.

We have to do inspections annually. There is a safety inspection and an emissions inspection if less than 20 years old. I know it's going to be a pain in the ass swapping the DMEs and the entire intake setup, but worth it.

I know you're a fan of Alpha N. If I didn't already have a spare DME, I might consider going that route. I only have 1 more year by the sounds of it, so worth the headache.

Comment

Got it. So I've got 1 more year, basically. Appreciate it!

This is helpful - didn't realize the DME did not impact the tamper dot. Great to know.

We have to do inspections annually. There is a safety inspection and an emissions inspection if less than 20 years old. I know it's going to be a pain in the ass swapping the DMEs and the entire intake setup, but worth it.

I know you're a fan of Alpha N. If I didn't already have a spare DME, I might consider going that route. I only have 1 more year by the sounds of it, so worth the headache.
                  I wouldn't bother swapping airboxes personally, just write a tune that forces readiness
                  E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                  E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                  E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Working...
                  X