Sagging door trim fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sagging door trim fix?

Looks like my passenger door trim has become detached. Any suggestions on how to fix this besides replacing the entire door trim completely?
    Attached Files

Comment

The above weatherstripping glue seems the most common solution. Annoying to get where I'm at so I used 3m double sided tape which is the same gauge as the weatherstripping and fit nicely. Still holding it up after about a year, if that fails then I'll use the 3m glue.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
        The above weatherstripping glue seems the most common solution. Annoying to get where I'm at so I used 3m double sided tape which is the same gauge as the weatherstripping and fit nicely. Still holding it up after about a year, if that fails then I'll use the 3m glue.
        Granted, I'm in a very hot and sunny location, but I tried the double sided stuff and it failed in weeks. After several more attempts with various other products which also failed, I came to this stuff and my trim has stayed stuck for better than 18 years. I used painter masking tape to hold it in place til cured.

Comment

Appreciate the help guys. Is there a difference between the 3M black and yellow super?

Comment

Personally, I do not know. I used the yellow and like I said, been sticking for many moons when nothing else would.

Comment

One of the first things I had to do was this when I got my car. I used 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive and has held up for 2+ yrs so far. Keep in mind weather wise, my area doesn't see much hot weathers in the summer though so am not sure how it would last if it was in 100+ degree weather.

Whichever adhesive you go for make sure you get some really good clamps and let it sit at least over night. I used something similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...9743101&sr=8-6

Comment

i would suggest to just bite the bullet, buy a new set ..

when i got mine 14 years ago, tried all type of glues, methods, just won't hold that well..

a new set gives you that piece of mind ~

the new set got me covered so far for 12 years .. (hope it's good for another upcoming 5 years at least, i have indoor garage now)

Comment

Originally posted by chalaka View Post
                  i would suggest to just bite the bullet, buy a new set ..
                  If they are otherwise OK, why buy new? They are stupid expensive for what they are. Have you priced them in today's market?

I think it's worth trying the 3M stuff first.
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

If they are otherwise OK, why buy new? They are stupid expensive for what they are. Have you priced them in today's market?

I think it's worth trying the 3M stuff first.
                    ah, that's true .. haven't check the price of those lately...

well, if condition isn't that bad, perhaps 3M has newer and better glue formula ~~

reminds me of that yaw sensor pricing increase~ just don't understand that 1000 usd cost for such sensor back then ~

Comment

Originally posted by chalaka View Post
                      perhaps 3M has newer and better glue formula ~~
                      Better? As I stated above, the stuff I recommended has stuck for over 18 years on my trim, in Tucson no less, with no covered parking at work, makes me think it was pretty good then too.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_c View Post
                        Appreciate the help guys. Is there a difference between the 3M black and yellow super?
                        found on the QA section: quote from the reply

"The yellow super weather strip adhesive 08001 and black 08008 are the same product, only difference is the color."

and after reading through the product description, this thing is indeed amazing

Further updates
                        [for reference to members who wonders about the difference] quote from Corvetteforum
                        note on the difference in case if you apply this to somewhere else involving paint.

#08001 (yellow) - This adhesive contains solvents that outgas while curing. These solvents may soften some paints or coatings and may cause failure of the paint bond or coating bond. Test in an inconspicuous space.

#08008 (black) - Avoid getting adhesive on surrounding painted surfaces.

#08011 (black) - Avoid putting adhesive on exposed painted surfaces.
                        Last edited by chalaka; 04-13-2022, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I ended up getting the 3M yellow and seems to have done the trick. Key is really getting the trim to stay tightly seated while the 3M stuff cures. I’m happy with it for $10 instead of doing a full replacement.
                          Last edited by simon_c; 04-16-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X