Gas leak near drivers rear wheel after fill up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leak near drivers rear wheel after fill up

As the title states, I filled up the car this morning and noticed afterwards I have a small gas leak coming from the drivers side in front of the rear tire. I pulled the rear seat and removed the fuel level sending unit cover on the drivers side and the little cavity was full of gas and old debris from a mouse nest. I soaked up the gas and started the car and there is no sign of gas leaking in the area that was full of gas.

Is it possible the seal is bad for the fuel level sending unit?

I only took a pic after soaking up the fuel.

EDIT:
    Passenger side has fuel pump unit and driver's side has fuel level sending unit. My issue is on the driver's side.

Attached Files
    Last edited by LukesM; 04-21-2022, 06:22 AM.

A friend had a similar thing happen and it was the blue nipple on the bottom of pic 2. It had a small hole.
    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Probably one of the fuel lines is corroded and split. If its the one in pic 2 you may need to lower the tank slightly to feed it through if you can't snake it up past the frame rail.
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

It's odd because it only did this after filling it all the way up. After soaking up the gas on top of the fuel sending unit I don't see a leak while it is running. I think the seal is bad in the fuel sending unit. New unit is around $150. I may drive it and see if it starts leaking again.

Comment

Found the issue, hard to tell but in the pic you can see there are some nibble marks on the top of the cylindrical piece with the slash face. This resulted in a few pin holes which leak when the tank is full. This is what I get for not driving the car enough.

Comment

Are you talking about the blue cylinder shaped protrusion that is on the bottom of the pic? Opposite the electrical connector?

I had a mouse nest in the same spot on mine at one point. They chewed thru the wiring for the electrical connector and I had to repair it. Seems to be Park Avenue real estate for mice.
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
              Are you talking about the blue cylinder shaped protrusion that is on the bottom of the pic? Opposite the electrical connector?

I had a mouse nest in the same spot on mine at one point. They chewed thru the wiring for the electrical connector and I had to repair it. Seems to be Park Avenue real estate for mice.
              That would be it! I agree lol Mice must love that little spot. Particularly in North Carolina

Comment

My pump change……….

Mice love this area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X