Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with BMC air filter for CSL intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up ordering BMC filter, here’s what they’re advert says:

Genuine BMW air filter for the M3 CSL and S54 cars with CSL airboxes installed. These filters are made to BMW specs by BMC Air Filter and come pre-oiled and sealed.

I should have it by mid next week so I’ll report back if it’s actually oiled or not.
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      After a few emails a while back with BMC, they stated that this is the only non-oiled filter they make. You can tell because the filter material is not covered in the red dye colored oil when new. The rep there did say there is no harm in cleaning it with their kit and lightly oiling. NZ_M3 said that regular water and light detergent is more than enough to clean it. It is probably worth a try since there is no MAF to get damaged.

As for decreasing airflow or filtering ability of a cleaned filter, you have to dyno back to back with a new filter and monitor the airbox for dust particles. Even with a brand new BMC filter, dust and debris gets passed the filter all the time. I remember seeing a post by 0-60Motorsport where his OE CSL airbox looked like a sand pit.
      hahaha that’s right. It was mine.

by the way the filters are 110% oiled!!! I had got one a few years back to keep as a spare on the shelf. The oil ate into the red outer rubber edge and disintegrated the rubber so when I tried to put it in the airbox it fell apart. Also it clearly showed the red oil in the plastic bag of the filter.

My recommendation is to wash it with light warm water and a gentle soap and lightly oil with BMC filter oil. Very lightly. That’s what I’ll do in a few weeks and will happily post up pics.

Comment

So, I received the BMC filter today, the plastic bag it comes in (inside the BMW box) says the filter is oiled, but it sure doesn’t look or feel like it…

maybe I used to over oil my old K&N’s…

on side note - couldn’t be more pleased with the snug fit in the TMS airbox.
        '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
        '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

karb filters seem to have a small problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F85A504-5759-4CB4-BE85-038669C52366.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	167160
          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F85A504-5759-4CB4-BE85-038669C52366.jpg Views:	35 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	167160
            Was just about to post this. Real bummer for that guy. Filter looks different than the ITG one Karb also has a branded version of.
            Last edited by stephen; 05-10-2022, 02:04 AM.

Comment

It was made by Pipercross in the UK and the design looked questionable when Karb first introduced it.

At least the other filter made by ITG was a bit more durable, but even those foam filters could deteriorate after a few years.
              Last edited by Slideways; 05-10-2022, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F85A504-5759-4CB4-BE85-038669C52366.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	167160
                Same issue for me, I use the CSL filter now

Comment

I thankfully bought another BMW OE CSL air filter so I've got another on hand.

I'll need to give a gentle wash. I bet there's lots of crap in there from all the fires we had in CA last year.
                  "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                  ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F85A504-5759-4CB4-BE85-038669C52366.jpg Views:	35 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	167160
                    Wow. This thread reminded me to order a BMC/OE like I've been meaning to for a while. My Karb/ITG is a few years old now with no issues but extra glad to be replacing it. IND shipped super quickly, showed up in a couple days. $150 is a pretty terrible price for an air filter though, kind of worried about long term pricing and availability on these.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Wow. This thread reminded me to order a BMC/OE like I've been meaning to for a while. My Karb/ITG is a few years old now with no issues but extra glad to be replacing it. IND shipped super quickly, showed up in a couple days. $150 is a pretty terrible price for an air filter though, kind of worried about long term pricing and availability on these.
                      i just order a few
                      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                        Also it clearly showed the red oil in the plastic bag of the filter.
                        i've never seen this on any filters i've gotten. some had at most a few droplets of oil pooled on the plastic bag but it was always clear in color.

i just order a few
                        is this an option considering 0-60motorsports experience with collecting filters?

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                        I had got one a few years back to keep as a spare on the shelf. The oil ate into the red outer rubber edge and disintegrated the rubber so when I tried to put it in the airbox it fell apart.

Comment

i just order a few
                          100%

Confirmed my BMC OEM is oiled. Unless they tear, it should last.

Comment

Just changed out my ~2018 timeframe Karb air filter for the BMC from IND (came in a BMW box with BMW part number by the way). My Karb filter design was nothing like the busted one posted above. The intake runner side of the filter was holding the foam in place and the whole thing was supported by wire mesh with about 1/2 inch spacing. Inside of the airbox was very clean, pleasant surprise. Still the BMC is a much tighter fit.

Comment

Bottom line is stop Using foam filters. They are too fragile and disintegrate easily

Stick to oe CSL

Comment

Ejaz, I would say "pipercross" - my foam itg has been perfectly fine
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X