Alternator Pulley Bolt Tool Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Pulley Bolt Tool Combo

I wasn’t happy with the whole “just hit the pulley bolt with an impact” method of securing the pulley to alternator. I also didn’t want to buy the dedicated tool for this task. So I went in search of what tools to get.

Basically you need a 24mm socket with flats on it (hard to find these days) and a long T45 bit (but not too long). I found the following tools work:

and

Not all alternators have the T45 drive on the shaft so check yours before buying.

I forgot to take photos before putting everything back together but basically you use the T45 bit on a ratchet while using a 1” wrench on the socket flats. Hold one while turning the other and voila!

Torque for pulley bolt is 33 lb-ft

But… after all that hitting the pulley bolt with the impact was, in fact, tight enough.

BMW makes a 24mm socket for alternator pulley removal/installation. It's fairly cheap too. Part number 83300491167
    SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
    E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
      BMW makes a 24mm socket for alternator pulley removal/installation. It's fairly cheap too. Part number 83300491167
      My understanding is that tool would only replace the 24mm socket. Still need a slightly longer torx/allen bit. Also that part current ship date is a month away. I was able to order the milwaukee socket to my local hardware store the next day.

Comment

Working...
      X